Raw closed tonight (Jan. 2) with a segment full of the “moments” WWE clearly wants its flagship program to deliver. In the course of about ten minutes, we got:
- Chris Jericho entering the Royal Rumble, which gave us our first glimpse of tension between he and his best friend, Universal champ Kevin Owens, since Roadblock: End of the Line.
- A staredown between Goldberg & Owens, after KO acted like the arrogant badass who once told John Cena not to give him veteran advice for the first time in a long time.
- Paul Heyman coming out to tease the audience that Brock Lesnar might show up, and say Paul Heyman things.
- A staredown between Goldberg & Roman Reigns.
- Braun Strowman entering the Royal Rumble.
- Goldberg & Reigns joining forces to spear Strowman, then nodding in manly respect for one another.
It was a messy end to a messy show, but it was also kind of cool, and will probably be the most watched thing on WWE’s YouTube channel this week.