GFW’s Impact Wrestling continued taping on Monday at Orlando’s Universal Studios backlot (aka the Impact Zone). This advanced the Jim Cornette-led build toward October’s Bound For Glory pay-per-view (PPV).
These results are compiled from a variety of live reports, which are subject to a couple levels of interpretation, and final production of the material for airing on television usually changes context, so...
Take these with a grain of salt, is all I’m saying. Still the big matches, winners/losers and story beats are here.
Filmed Monday, Aug. 21 for probable broadcast in October:
- Ethan Carter III def. Moose via roll-up in a non-title match filmed for Xplosion
- James Storm def. Caleb Konley (Xplosion)
- World champ Eli Drake is out with Chris Adonis for a promo to start the Impact portion of the taping. He brags about beating Johnny Impact at “Victory Road” and trash talks Jim Cornette for making him work Mexico and Japan. He’s off tonight, but Adonis has a match.
- Garza Jr. def. Chris Adonis via disqualification when Impact. Adonis was in control up until the run-in, and Johnny also hits Garza during his assault. They’re separated by officials, and Cornette comes out to make a #1 contender match for “next week” between Impact and Garza - the winner gets Drake at Bound for Glory.
- A Taryn Terrell promo on Gail Kim leads to a brawl between the two.
- Rosemary def. Hannah Harper, and then calls out Taya Valkyrie. Taya quickly hits her finisher on the former champ.
- LAX (Santana, Ortiz, Diamante and Konnan) demands a rematch against oVe for the tag titles. The champs agree, and tell Konnan to name his match. He picks a 51/50 Street Fight, which Diamante explains is all of LAX vs. just the Crist brothers. They fight and the challengers stand tall.
- Trevor Lee def. Suicide in a non-title match
- Johnny Impact def. Garza Jr. and will face Eli Drake for the World title at BFG. Reportedly a well-received, lucha libre-style match. Impact raised Garza’s hand at the end, then was laid out by Chris Adonis.
- Dezmond Xavier def. Andrew Everett. Everett was accompanied by X-Division champ Lee and Caleb Konley, who interfered on his behalf often.
- Jeremy Borash arrived to announce the Hall of Fame entrant for BFG, but was cut off by American Top Team. They want a match made for the PPV - King Mo and Lashley against Moose and Stephan Bonnar*. The UFC Hall of Famer arrives with Moose, but Lashley attacks them from behind. A beatdown by ATT ensues, and a number of GFW stars run in to try and stop it (various report name Lee, Konley, Everett and Mahabali Shera), but they’re all dispatched and Lashley’s crew holds the ring.
- Johnny Impact def. Chris Adonis via pinfall. Eli Drake tries for the sneak attack but ends up getting whipped with his own belt before Adonis recovers to give the heels the numbers. Garza Jr. makes the save, chasing the champ and his sidekick off with a chair to close the show.
* Reports are ALL OVER THE PLACE about this match, with some saying it’s Shane Sewell and not Bonnar (although there is definitely a picture of Moose and The American Psycho from the taping), or that Mo is teaming with Moose. The above makes the most sense to me from past booking (like Mo cornering Lashley at Slammiversary), but will update as soon as the various sources gain some clarity.