GFW’s Impact Wrestling didn’t take Independence Day off, continuing to film at Orlando’s Universal Studios backlot (aka the Impact Zone). The episodes build out of last Sunday’s Slammiversary pay-per-view (PPV) and should air later this month.
This is compiled from a variety of live reports, which are subject to a couple levels of interpretation, and final production of the material for airing on television usually changes context, so...
Take these with a grain of salt, is all I’m saying. Still the big matches, winners/losers and story beats are here.
Filmed Tuesday, July 4 for probable broadcast July 13 and 20:
- Tyrus def. Caleb Konley (Xplosion)
- Taiji Ishimori def. Andrew Everett (Xplosion)
- LAX in the ring, and Konnan says he’s going to introduce LAX’s newest member... unified champ Alberto El Patron. Alberto says he and Konnan (who he calls “Carlos”) go way back, but he’s not joining. Konnan tries to convince him, saying the group will keep him from getting screwed at Impact like he’s been screwed elsewhere (obligatory WWE shot), but El Patron turns them down, saying he’s well treated at GFW and doesn’t mind going it alone. LAX eventually attacks him, but Lashley is out to run them off. He hands the belts to Alberto and leaves.
- A Grand championship match between Moose and Naomichi Marufuji ends in a no contest when Ethan Carter III attacks the NOAH star with the belt during the third round with the contest tied 1 - 1. Marufuji was busted open and EC3 also went after Moose before officials broke it all up.
- Trevor Lee def. William Weeks. Lee worked with the X-Division belt he took from Sonjay Dutt; Dutt tried to get it back after the match, but Lee escaped.
- Laurel Van Ness def. Ava Storie. Grado and Joseph Park come out after the match, with Grado offering LVN flowers, saying she’s the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen and asking her out (or in, suggesting they “Netflix and chill”). Before she can answer, Kongo Kong is out to chase them off.
- Alberto El Patron & Bobby Lashley def. LAX in a non-title match. Afterwards, Alberto says they make a good team, but when Konnan’s crew attacks him again, Lashley leaves without helping him.
- Drago def. Sammy Guevara
- Sienna def. Amber Nova. The unified Women’s champ grabs a mic and puts herself over for beating Rosemary at Slammiversary, and calls Karen Jarrett out because Jarrett didn’t think she could win, so she wants Karen to declare her the greatest Knockouts champ ever. Allie attacks the champ with a kendo stick, and LVN runs in to stop her. That brings out Rosemary to even the odds, followed by Gail Kim, who sends Sienna and Laurel packing. Jarrett announces a Last Knockout Standing match between Sienna and Rosemary for “next week”.
- Garza Jr, Laredo Kid and Octagoncito def. Trevor Lee, Demus 3:16 and Idris Abraham
- Matt Sydal def. Fantasma and Low Ki in a Triple Threat. Afterwards, Sydal calls out Bruce Prichard to demand a shot at the Unified title. Lashley comes out instead and says no one deserves a match with Alberto but him. He spears Sydal to end the segment, promising there’s more where that came from.
- Eli Drake and Chris Adonis are attacked by Instagram celebrities the “Swole Mates” before the match. Not sure if this will be shown in this order, but Drake then went on defeat Eddie Edwards, EC3 and Moose in a Fatal 4Way by stealing a pin on Edwards after Moose pulled Carter out of the ring.
- LAX brings out Dos Caras and El Hijo de Dos Caras (Alberto’s father and brother) to the ring for a beatdown. They call out El Patron and threaten to unmask Dos Caras. He comes out and Konnan says they’ll let his family go if he joins them. Alberto puts on a LAX shirt, but then rips it off and attacks them. He closed the taping with a babyface promo for those in attendance, including running down Josh Mathews.
Two more days of taping, as Impact is in Orlando through Thursday.
H/T: Wrestling Inc, WrestleZone