Dynamite airs tonight (Jan. 10) with a live show from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville, Florida. This is the second episode of Dynamite during the nine week build towards Revolution, which takes place on March 3.
Tony Khan gets angry over the dumbest things
AEW World Champion Samoa Joe will be live on Dynamite tonight, where he’ll presumably address the fact that FTW Champion HOOK is coming after him. The cold-hearted handsome devil correctly noted that he has one of the best winning percentages in AEW, so he wants to test himself against the number one guy in the promotion.
On a related note, AEW President Tony Khan made a big stink about WWE wrestler Jinder Mahal yesterday. Khan thinks it’s unfair there’s so much online outrage over HOOK being in the AEW world title picture but there’s barely any outrage over jobber Mahal gunning for the world title in WWE next week on Raw.
This massive level of online outrage against HOOK was news to me, so I’m guessing that Khan was duped by another anti-AEW army of bots. Nonetheless, a lot more people are suddenly talking about HOOK and interested to see what happens whenever he fights Joe, so Khan getting upset over the dumbest things could have its benefits for the rising star who once thrashed CM Punk so thoroughly that Punk was stretchered out of the building.
As far as Joe is concerned, he might not even be interested in giving HOOK a title shot. Will he join the online trolls and laugh off HOOK’s challenge, dismissing him as a pre-show wrestler who doesn’t belong in the same ring as the world champ? Will he choke out HOOK’s father Taz just for the fun of it? Is Tony Khan so upset and defiant that he will change his booking plans tonight and have HOOK win the belt from Joe in an impromptu world title match?
Who knows what the hell will happen here, but I’m definitely curious to see what kind of online outrage Tony Khan plans to stir up next with HOOK.
The rest of tonight’s lineup
Sting and Darby Allin are booked in a Texas Tornado match against Powerhouse Hobbs and Konosuke Takeshita. Ric Flair was bragging on Collision about Sting and Darby being unbeatable and how they will improve their record to 27-0 after winning this match. The fact that AEW is emphasizing Sting’s perfect record could be setting him up for a story where he tries to retire undefeated at Revolution. Then again, maybe the Nature Boy will do what he always does and screw Sting over tonight.
If you love great wrestling then you’ll definitely want to tune in to Dynamite Homecoming to check out Hangman Page vs. Claudio Castagnoli. But will Swerve Strickland show up to ruin the end of what should otherwise be a fantastic match, or will he wait until after the match is over to go after Page?
Sammy Guevara goes one-on-one with Ricky Starks tonight. Chris Jericho has vowed to chop down Big Bill with a baseball bat if he tries to interfere, so both of them will probably be ringside for this bout. Will there be one final angle here ahead of their AEW world tag team championship match on Saturday’s Battle of the Belts show? Will the fans heavily boo babyface Jericho if he is indeed ringside for the match?
There will also be two 8-man tag team matches tonight to pay tribute to Brodie Lee at Daily’s Place. Here is Tony Khan’s explanation:
Being back at Daily's Place, #AEWDynamite will recognize @ThisBrodieLee because he was the dominant figure of AEW's @dailysplace era.@annajay___ + @Pres10Vance were Brodie's handpicked protégés, and they'll team with fan favorites representing many eras of AEW this Wednesday. pic.twitter.com/Yd93W1R0QD— Tony Khan (@TonyKhan) January 9, 2024
Adam Copeland, Dustin Rhodes, Preston Vance, and AEW International Champion Orange Cassidy look like surefire winners in their match against Lance Archer, Gates of Agony, and Brian Cage.
On the women’s side, this will be Thunder Rosa’s first match on Dynamite since August 2022 when she teams up with Willow Nightingale, Kris Statlander, and Anna Jay to take on the team of Ruby Soho, Saraya, Skye Blue, and TBS Champion Julia Hart. Will Stokely Hathaway or Harley Cameron show up to cause any trouble?
Other stuff to keep an eye on
- AEW Women’s World Champion “Timeless” Toni Storm suddenly has Deonna Purrazzo coming after her spot. Will things get even more chaotic for Storm if those rumors of Mercedes Mone imminently coming to AEW end up being true?
- The Undisputed Kingdom already have their hands full with Bullet Club Gold and AEW World Trios Champions Daddy Ass & The Acclaimed. Will the latter two groups make any progress towards forming an alliance to take down Adam Cole’s faction, or do they have to get their asses kicked a few more times by The Devil’s men before they figure it out?
- What will Jon Moxley and Bryan Danielson be up to after returning to AEW from last week’s trip to Japan?
- Eddie Kingston is a fighting champion. After he beat Trent Beretta on Collision, which wrestler is coming after the AEW Continental Champion next?
- It sure looks like Jay Lethal and Jeff Jarrett are about to break up.
- It also looks like The Hardy Boys are on a collision course with Private Party.
- Is there any update on how Keith Lee is doing after he was pulled from Worlds End?
- Is Miro going to disappear from AEW again after wrestling five total matches in the second half of 2023?
- It sounds like Jack Perry is no longer suspended by AEW, so where the f*** is he?
What will you be looking for on Dynamite?