Dynamite airs tonight (Dec. 6) with a live show from Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. This is the third episode of Dynamite during the six week build towards Worlds End, which takes place on December 30.
This is exactly why Adam Copeland chose AEW over WWE
Adam Copeland steps in the ring tonight for the biggest match of his AEW career thus far when he challenges Christian Cage for the TNT championship. Copeland and Christian have told each other to go fuck themselves, so now they’ll battle it out over championship gold. Copeland doesn’t seem to actually care about the title; he simply wants to take away Christian’s most prized possession after Cage threatened to break his neck last month.
This is the kind of match that would normally be seen on AEW pay-per-view. So, why is it instead happening on Dynamite during the build to Worlds End? In a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Copeland explained why there was no other choice:
“We were both told we’d never wrestle again. Then we were different companies, so the possibility for us to wrestle each other wasn’t even there. Now we’re here. And we’re at a point where, in terms of being able to tell a layered story, we’ve never been better. And we’re bringing different talent into the story and giving them a boost. It’s everything I want to do.
I’ve heard, ‘Why isn’t this at the pay-per-view?’ To me, where is more important than when. We get to do it in Montreal. There’s no other choice for us but to have it here. My family is coming for this one, cousins and relatives who’ve known [Christian] for years.
There’s something special about doing it in Canada. I am really, really amped up to do this one. I truly think there’s not another story like ours, with this real story. Two friends from Orangeville, Ontario, who made it where we made it because of each other. I’m hoping this is a rabid crowd. This is what I dreamed of–working that guy in Montreal for a championship.”
That explanation also tells you everything you need to know about why the “Rated R Superstar” decided to sign with AEW after his WWE contract expired. This is a dream match for the former Edge, and there was no possibility of it happening in WWE.
What should fans expect when Copeland and Cage square off in a singles match for the first time since 2010? Adam recently took out both of Christian’s henchmen (Killswitch & Nick Wayne) with conchairtos, putting Christian in the desperate position of offering a fake apology to Copeland that didn’t work out. Now that Christian is all by himself for this title fight, he’ll need a new backup plan to find a way to retain his title.
Could Nick Wayne’s mom end up making the difference, after Copeland smashed her kid’s head into the mat with a steel chair right in front of her a couple weeks ago? It’s certainly plausible there will be some kind of screwy ending that results in a rematch at Worlds End.
The rest of tonight’s lineup
The other championship match on tonight’s slate sees “Timeless” Toni Storm defend the AEW Women’s World title against Skye Blue. This is Storm’s first title match since winning the belt back at Full Gear, and she’ll be introduced to the ring by Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz. There isn’t much reason to think Blue will walk out of this bout as the new champion.
The Devil is sending (at least) two of his masked goons to Dynamite tonight for a tag team match against AEW World Champion MJF & Samoa Joe. MJF pissed off Samoa when he accepted this match last week. Considering all the injuries MJF is dealing with, Joe might be walking into a two-on-one (or worse) trap here, just as Roderick Strong warned him about on Collision. It’s almost like Roddy has The Devil’s ear or something...
The Continental Classic tournament continues tonight (updated standings are here) with three matches in the Gold League: Mark Briscoe vs. Swerve Strickland, Jon Moxley vs. Rush, and Jay White vs. Jay Lethal.
If the favorites (Strickland, Moxley, White) all win, then Briscoe and Lethal will be mathematically eliminated from winning the tournament, while Rush will be on the verge of joining them. Therefore, I’d expect at least one of Rush or Briscoe to pull off an upset (or draw) tonight. Lethal is probably staring at another loss, because it’s more important for White to win and stay within striking distance of the leaders.
Other stuff to keep an eye on
- Before we get to Worlds End, the Winter is Coming episode of Dynamite is happening next week (Dec. 13). This used to be one of the most important Dynamite episodes of the year, but it’s basically an afterthought right now with nothing specifically booked for the card. That needs to change in a big way by the end of tonight.
- Will AEW World Trios Champions Daddy Ass & The Acclaimed return soon seeking revenge on RETRIBUTION The Devil and his goons for taking them out last month?
- AEW International Champion Orange Cassidy has spent the last couple weeks in tag matches fighting low card fodder like Daddy Magic, Dark Order, and Angelo Parker. Will AEW find Orange a more formidable championship threat for Winter is Coming or Worlds End?
- ROH Pure Champion Wheeler Yuta is a little prick who recently tried to end Katsuyori Shibata. As a result, it looks like FTW Champion HOOK will be very happy to dump Wheeler on his head and choke him out as soon as Tony Khan books them in a match.
- When will Hangman Page show his face again?
- Dante Martin is back in AEW and competing in the trios division alongside his brother Darius and Action Andretti. They’ve already defeated the frustrated Hardy Boys and may have to deal with Penta El Zero Miedo, El Hijo del Vikingo & Komander relatively soon.
- Will The Golden Jets (Kenny Omega & Chris Jericho) show up in Montreal to cut a promo on AEW World Tag Team Champions Big Bill & Ricky Starks?
- I think Angelo Parker and Ruby Soho are falling in love, but not if Saraya and Daddy Magic have anything to say about it.
- Will the next match on Sting’s retirement tour take place at either Winter is Coming or Worlds End?
- Is Jack Perry still suspended? If not, where the f*** is he? And where the f*** is Britt Baker?
What will you be looking for on Dynamite?