Dynamite airs tonight (Nov. 29) with a live show from Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is the second episode of Dynamite during the six week build towards Worlds End, which takes place on December 30.
Dante Martin is back in AEW
WWE stole all the headlines this past Saturday night with the returns of Randy Orton and former AEW star CM Punk, but AEW had a return of its own to announce on that very same night: Dante Martin is back!
Martin suffered a gruesome leg injury in March during a ladder match on ROH PPV, and I didn’t expect him to see him back before the end of the year. But AEW is in his home state of Minnesota tonight, and Dante should be in the house along with Darius Martin and Action Andretti.
Dante said he’s back, but he has not been officially booked in a match or segment on tonight’s episode of Dynamite. Who knows, maybe Tony Khan will bring him back for a Rampage match rather than giving him the more valuable Dynamite air time. Regardless, Top Flight and Action Andretti look to be a formidable trios unit that could pursue either AEW World Trios Champions Daddy Ass & The Acclaimed or ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Champions Brian Cage & Gates of Agony.
It’s not exactly in the same stratosphere as the return of CM Punk, but 22-year-old Dante Martin has been quite impressive in the ring up to this point in his career, so it’s great to see one of AEW’s bright young stars back on TV.
The rest of tonight’s lineup
The Continental Classic tournament continues tonight (updated standings are here) with three matches in the Gold League: Swerve Strickland vs. Jay White, Jon Moxley vs. Jay Lethal, and Mark Briscoe vs. Rush.
Swerve’s match is the headliner, as it’s a battle of two men who won their opening tournament matches last week. Even though Swerve invaded Hangman Page’s home recently, he’ll likely be in the babyface role here as his popularity has surged following his Texas Death match at Full Gear.
Moxley’s match is the one with the obvious outcome, and makes me wonder why wrestlers who are clearly better in kayfabe than Jay Lethal were left out of the tournament.
Meanwhile, Briscoe and Rush both desperately need a win after losing their respective opening tournament matches last week.
TNT Champion Christian Cage will be on Dynamite tonight to respond to Adam Copeland’s challenge for a title match next Wednesday in Montreal. Will Christian be all alone after Copeland took out Nick Wayne and
Luchasaurus Killswitch with conchairtos last week?
Finally, Bryan Danielson will be on commentary tonight. His return to the ring is currently scheduled for this Saturday’s Collision as part of the Continental Classic.
Other stuff to keep an eye on
- AEW World Champion MJF is injured and probably won’t wrestle again until the Worlds End PPV on Dec. 30 when he defends the belt against Samoa Joe. Joe wants to destroy the best version of Max on that date, so he has vowed to protect him until then. That means if Wardlow, The Devil, The Kingdom, or anyone else plans to mess with MJF over the next month, they might just have to deal with Joe first.
- Before we get to Worlds End, the Winter is Coming episode of Dynamite is two weeks away (Dec. 13). AEW needs to announce some must-see matches for that card, which is typically one of the most important Dynamite episodes of the year. Will Sting be involved in it this year, three years after he debuted for the company at Winter is Coming 2020?
- AEW Women’s World Champion “Timeless” Toni Storm gave an acceptance speech last week after winning the belt at Full Gear. Storm made it clear that all the little Toni Storms out there that want to be just like her will never have her spot, so they should go back to school and maybe learn a trade. This didn’t seem to sit too well with Mariah May.
- TBS champion Julia Hart will probably have to defend the gold against Kris Statlander in a singles match in December, considering that Statlander wasn’t pinned or submitted when she lost the belt at Full Gear.
- AEW International Champion Orange Cassidy brought Danhausen back to AEW last week. Which heel will be so upset by this news that he decides to go after Cassidy’s belt?
- Ricky Starks and Big Bill have to defend the AEW world tag team championship sometime soon against Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho. That’s assuming Jericho can quickly recover from the backstage attack he received at the hands of Ricky and Big at Full Gear.
- Powerhouse Hobbs’ new shirt says he’s Big, Black & Jacked. After he slammed Paul Wight onto a car windshield a couple weeks ago, which wrestler will get it next?
- FTW Champion HOOK is on a collision course with new ROH Pure Champion Wheeler Yuta. When will the match be officially booked?
- We haven’t heard or seen much from Hangman Page after his devastating loss at Full Gear. How will the cowboy respond to his crushing failure?
- Love is in the air between Angelo Parker and Ruby Soho, but Daddy Magic and Saraya are determined to shut that shit down.
- Is Jack Perry still suspended? If not, where the f*** is he?
What will you be looking for on Dynamite?