During his appearance on Busted Open yesterday (Sept. 17), AEW President & chief booker Tony Khan said he had 11 matches set for the company’s debut in New York City next Weds., Sept. 22.
The show at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens will consist of both the live, two hour Dynamite broadcast and a special two hour Rampage that will air on Fri., Sept. 24. Five matches had already been announced for Wednesday, and announcements made during last night’s Rampage bring the total for the next episode of that show up to six. So it looks like we have our card for the entire two-show “Grand Slam” event.
Headlining next Friday’s Rampage will be the Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston vs. Minoru Suzuki & Lance Archer tag set-up by “The Suzuki Incident”. The rivalry between Mox & the Japanese legend - and the heat from the whole KAZE NI NARE thing - means this one gets the Lights Out treatment.
An AEW Lights Out match is unsanctioned, and happens after the show “ends”, meaning this tag match will main event Rampage, and presumably the entire night in Flushing for fans in attendance. It also means the result won’t count toward the participants’ official records, or impact the weekly rankings. The company’s used the stipulation in the past for Moxley & Kenny Omega’s war at Full Gear 2019, and the Britt Baker/Thunder Rosa classic from “St. Patrick’s Day Slam” earlier this year.
A women’s match and an eight-man tag were also added to the “Grand Slam” Rampage. Here’s an updated look at the cards for both next week’s shows from NYC.
- Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson in a non-title match
- Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (c) vs. Ruby Soho for the AEW Women’s championship
- Cody Rhodes vs. Malakai Black
- FTR vs. Darby Allin & Sting. Tully Blanchard led an assault on the good guys after Allin defeated Shawn Spears. Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood delivered a spike piledriver to the 62 year old Hall of Famer, and both Sting & Darby had their face-paint wiped off by the heels.
- MJF vs. Brian Pillman, Jr.
- CM Punk will be interviewed about his first television match in seven years on...
- Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston vs. Minoru Suzuki & Lance Archer in a Lights Out match
- CM Punk vs. Powerhouse Hobbs (with Hook)
- Super Kliq (The Young Bucks & Adam Cole) vs. Christian Cage & Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus)
- Ethan Page & Scorpio Sky (with Dan Lambert) vs. Chris Jericho & Jake Hager
- Anna Jay vs. Penelope Ford
- Lucha Brothers & Santana and Ortiz vs. Private Party & The Butcher and The Blade
Seem like a Grand Slam to you?