After NXT moved to Tuesdays last month, Triple H appeared on Peter Rosenberg’s Cheap Heat podcast and claimed “the Wednesday Night War” with AEW Dynamite was just a fan/media narrative - an “imaginary battle”.
Chris Jericho isn’t buying it, calling out his old colleague’s answer as spin. Not surprising considering Jericho’s past comments about the war with NXT. And you have to admit, he has a point.
Here’s what he told the New York Post:
“That’s typical WWE. It’s typical rhetoric. Because I believe that they congratulated us the first week and said, if you remember, ‘it’s a marathon, not a sprint.’ We won the marathon, right? So now it’s an imaginary war. Well then why were they saying it’s a marathon, not a sprint a year and a half ago when our first rating came out?
“It will be there for the rest of time, it was an ‘imaginary war,’ and if it wasn’t a war why did they take Wednesday night the exact same time that we had? It was there to take away our ratings and for us not to get re-signed. Three months after that started we were re-signed to a hundreds-of millions-of-dollars extension. They failed.”
Triple H’s answer to the claim NXT “took” Wednesday has always been that the show had long occupied that timeslot, they just happened to get the chance to go live on USA after Dynamite launched. There’s some small amount of validity to that, but Jericho makes a good argument the same can’t be said about the “imaginary war” comment.
If you need proof the war was - and is - real, they’re still taking shots even though their TV shows don’t go head-to-head any more!
Certainly not the end...