Don’t have time to follow all of AEW’s online content? Don’t worry. We got you covered with the AEW Rewind, which will rewind through social media bits and YouTube videos from the past week to prepare you for Wednesday night Dynamite.
“Road to New Year’s Smash Night 2,” profiled Darby Allin versus Brian Cage for the TNT Championship, Serena Deeb versus Tay Conti for the NWA Women’s Championship, and Eddie Kingston versus PAC.
The video packages do well to hype the fights. The focus for Conti was her martial arts skills and whether or not the Dark Order will play a beneficial role. Anna Jay claimed they are just a support system. For PAC and Kingston, it will be about an athlete against a fighter. Kingston has no doubt that he is the tougher man.
Allin is talking a big game for his match with Cage. He is guaranteeing the fight will be insane and one that nobody will forget.
Guarantee the match with Cage will be one of the most insane things in AEW. https://t.co/ri5hdHtpfj— DARBY ALLIN (@DarbyAllin) January 13, 2021
This Wednesday I remind everyone why the hell i’m the TNT champion.— DARBY ALLIN (@DarbyAllin) January 12, 2021
At the end of the day all you have is yer word. Trust me this will be a match nobody will forget. #AEWDynamite pic.twitter.com/FrT4Rprcfh
AEW has a high benchmark for insanity, but I tend to believe the man. Given Allin’s propensity for crazy stunts, I’m eager to see what wild antics take place that will match his definition of insane.
Miro is excited to make Chuck Taylor his young boy. Miro pointed out how stupid Chuck is for not demanding any stipulation should Miro lose. That goes to show how deeply Chuck truly desires to become Miro’s servant.
Cody Rhodes is teasing something shocking for his appearance on Dr. Britt Baker’s talk show tonight. Your guess is as good as mine.
Pretty badass that I get to be the guest for the Dynamite Debut of this show. Britt/Reba have done a killer job with this on AEW Dark.— Cody (@CodyRhodes) January 13, 2021
People might be shocked at what I plan to say. Let’s do it! https://t.co/m5xw9Bpdbt
Lance Archer may have killed a small animal. Or, perhaps he got a haircut.
Kenny Omega hosted the 2.Show (here) with Kip Sabian to reveal updated details for AEW video games. The console game has no release date yet. It could be next year or the year after that. Omega stressed that he wants the game to be fun and last a long time. He doesn’t want to rush it and have bugs all over. There will be create-a-player and online competitive play features. The gameplay style will be arcade speed with moves, countering systems, and submissions more like a simulation to feel you are truly controlling the wrestler. Omega also shared the story of getting Hideyuki “Geta” Iwashita on board with the project
For the mobile games, the general manager game will have a gimmick system with weapons to affect match outcomes. Omega teased that the casino game will be available in 60 days or less.
If you want a glimpse at potential stars of AEW’s future, check out Cody Rhodes’ Nightmare Factory Showcase (here) on YouTube. It is a one-hour show featuring singles bouts of talent training at the Nightmare Factory. Most of the wrestlers were participating in their first match.
Speaking of the Nightmare Family, Cody posted googly eyes at the suggestion of adding Aaron Solow to the mix.
Being the Elite
“The Band Is Back Together” - Being The Elite, Ep. 238 (here) featured:
- The Young Bucks chatted with the Good Brothers after their Bullet Club reunion on Dynamite. Luke Gallows was so excited that he masturbated in the bathroom. Matt Jackson questioned if they can trust the Good Brothers. Nick Jackson felt the betrayal was real when the Good Brothers went to WWE and then re-signed. Everyone was satisfied with explanations and closed with a Too Sweet.
- The Bucks prepared backstage before they went out to wrestle. After the match, Nick’s leg was checked out in the trainer room. The injury prevented him from doing an Asai moonsault during the contest.
- Marko Stunt wanted Leva Bates to tell Kip Sabian the truth about letting him win.
- Dark Order was angry about 5’s New Year’s eve party sucking. They shared resolutions. John Silver wants to earn his best kisser award back from Emilio Estevez. Colt Cabana wants to get his dad gimmick over. Anna Jay wants to be nicer to Stu Grayson. Stu said he would stop throwing himself into walls and furniture. Evil Uno wants to wrestle Jim Duggan. Alex Reynolds wants a badass catchphrase. 10 needs to quit gambling (as he did a line of cocaine). 5 wants to be cooler. The crew counted down for the new year, then Hangman Page came from out behind the curtain to inform them that it was only December 27.
- Private Party and Matt Hardy had a great night celebrating. Hardy wanted a cut from their Cameo earnings. Their contract with Hardy allowed them to do third-party revenue, but the fine print stated Hardy gets 50%. Hardy talked them into not complaining about it.
- Kris Statlander abducted Griff Garrison.
- The Bucks’ room was a mess. Frankie Kazarian was taking his anger management seriously. Matt Hardy tried to recruit them as a manager by getting them a bigger room. Matt Jackson signed without reading the contract.
- Garrison ran way from Statlander. She was doing human experiments by trying to straighten his hair.
- Hardy also tried to recruit Brandon Cutler. Hardy proposed Cutler winning against Luchasaurus to earn a contract.
- Reynolds and Silver searched for Sting to recruit him into the Dark Order.
- Alex Abrahantes followed a trail of purple Kool-Aid packets to be trapped in a trailer by Dasha Gonzalez, Ortiz, and Danny Limelight. Abrahantes screamed for help as Jake Roberts was deprogramming him from the cult. Alex exited after two hours. He had a snake sticking out of his shirt, and Jake was drinking the Kool-Aid instead.
- Luchasaurus complained about dinosaurs not being cast in human roles for movies. Cutler sidled in to challenge him to a match on Dark.
- Vickie Guerrero and Nyla Rose used their nun outfits to take donations backstage and pocket the money.
- Reynolds, Ricky Starks, Orange Cassidy, 10, Shawn Dean, and 5 competed in a game of flip cup to become the next challenger for the BTE Championship. Reynolds prevailed over Cassidy in the end to become #1 contender against Silver. Next week’s competition will be beer pong.
- The Bucks filmed Cutler passed out asleep in funny positions at the airport.
- Matt Jackson tried to use his key to get into his new locker room, but it wouldn’t work. Hardy may have pulled a fast one.
In terms of importance for Dynamite, the opening scene is worth watching in case the Young Bucks seem distrusting tonight. Also, Matt Hardy is being established as a con artist with these managerial contracts.
We’ll close with a cool photo of Darby Allin blasting a flamethrower.
Allin better hope The Machine can’t walk through fire.