Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- WWE made it clear to Mercedes Moné in early discussions that they’d love to have her back, per PW Insider. A WWE source told Insider they’re confident Mercedes Moné will return to the company, with the caveat that nothing’s official until a deal is signed.
- In response to that report, one of PW Insider’s AEW sources reached out to say they’re negotiating with Moné and told the site, “If you don’t think we are in the hunt, you are crazy.”
- Insider also heard that Trinity is headed back to WWE, with a source telling them she’ll finish up with Impact/TNA at their Jan. 19-20 tapings in Orlando.
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that MJF was told he could be out for “close to a year” if he has shoulder surgery. MJF wants to avoid that, so he is “hoping to have it heal through rehab rather than surgery.”
- The Observer says the real reason why WWE canceled the NXT championship match at New Year’s Evil is because Ilja Dragunov “was worn down and the feeling was [he] needed a little bit of a break so they held the match off.”
- Per WON, WWE is “looking at Japanese allies going forward” and “looking for a women’s group ally as well.” There has also “been talk internally of them trying to make another go with New Japan, now that Hiroshi Tanahashi is president.”
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.