Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- No one PW Insider spoke to AEW believes MJF is “actually gone”. Instead, their sources think his removal from the company’s roster page is “just storyline playing off his ‘war of ’24’ stuff that he’s referenced forever.”
- Following Worlds End, Fightful Select reported that the expectation internally at AEW was that MJF would be taking time off after dropping the World title.
- Mercedes Moné and AEW are “close to agreeing on terms”, per Fightful Select. The site’s industry sources expect Moné to end up in AEW, but say she hasn’t signed yet.
- That doesn’t mean she couldn’t show up before the paperwork is finalized, like some others have recently. And while he specified he wasn’t reporting it as he didn’t “know”, Bryan Alvarez said on the Bryan & Vinny & Lisa Show that he’ll be “very surprised” If Mercedes Moné doesn’t debut for AEW this Wednesday on Dynamite.
- Regarding who might replace Kevin Dunn as the executive producer of WWE television, the Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer was told not to presume anything. Some in the company think Triple H will want Mike Mansury back, but Meltzer believes Mansury is signed to a long-term deal with AEW.
- According to David Bixenspan, it was expected that once Triple H was in charge pf WWE Michael Cole would “replace Dunn as head of television/executive producer” with someone else taking on Dunn’s role as “the line producer of the shows.” At one point Mansury was tapped for the latter job, but Bixenspan doesn’t know who’s in line for it now.
- As Nick Khan mentioned in his leaked internal email about Dunn’s departure, he & Triple H held a talent meeting before last night’s Raw. PW Insider heard it was a “short, positive” one.
- TNT has AEW Battle of the Belts IX on its schedule for Sat., Jan. 13 at 10pm Eastern, immediately following Collision.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.