Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Regarding WWE’s current direction of Brock Lesnar vs. Omos at WrestleMania 39, this week’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that plans for Brock “changed in the last week or two.” However, the original plan was not a match against GUNTHER.
- WRKD Wrestling claims Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. The Usos is “currently slated to main event the first night of WrestleMania.”
- Kenny Omega’s AEW contract was set to expire by Feb. 1, 2023, but The Observer claims that AEW did in fact add injury time to extend the length of his deal. Dave Meltzer doesn’t know how much time was added, but the maximum possible amount is nine months, which would keep him locked down until November.
- Meltzer writes that Mercedes Moné’s IWGP women’s championship win was planned from the moment she signed with NJPW, because the title becomes more important when she’s the one holding it.
- According to PW Insider, WWE’s King & Queen of the Ring event in May will take place in Saudi Arabia.
- Per WON, Saudi Arabia “absolutely has interest” in buying WWE, and Vince McMahon’s asking price of nine billion dollars makes them a leading contender. That’s because unlike all the media companies involved in the bidding, Saudi doesn’t care about making a profit on the deal. Their motivation is to use the WWE brand as part of their ongoing campaign to “normalize the world views of their country” and take attention away from all of their human rights violations.
- AEW has filed for a trademark on the phrase “AEW Collision.”
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.