Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- F4WOnline’s Dave Meltzer claims that Sami Zayn recently asked WWE for time off and it was granted. With that in mind, it’s possible Drew McIntyre’s attack on Zayn’s knee this week on Raw was a way to write Sami off TV. Zayn is not currently scheduled to work WWE’s Dec. 28 event in Quebec, which would normally be a show centered around him as the local hero.
- This week’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter says it looks like The Iron Claw movie has been edited in such a way that MJF’s role as Lance Von Erich “was pretty much dropped.” More specifically, the character gets “maybe ten seconds” and “has no speaking lines...unless you were looking for him, you’d never know he was in it.”
- Per Meltzer, CM Punk “won’t have the power he had in AEW” now that he’s back in WWE. In AEW, CM took advantage of the fact that Tony Khan “would do anything to pacify him.” However, WWE’s current leadership team “isn’t going to tolerate divisiveness the way AEW did.” One other difference is that WWE contracts “allow for termination with no just cause,” which makes it easier for WWE to move on from Punk if it’s not working out.
- Vince McMahon hasn’t been at WWE headquarters much this year, according to PW Insider. But the sites sources say he was there for the company’s holiday party this week. Employees at the party described McMahon as “approachable” and “friendly.”
- The Observer says the firing of Kevin Sullivan “blindsided many people” in AEW. Sullivan apparently “had no idea it was coming and was given no real explanation as to why, just that it was a [Mike] Mansury decision.” Kevin’s work was “heavily praised across the board,” and “there was criticism from some that Tony Khan didn’t step in and stop this from happening.”
- PW Insider mentions that Cora Jade was spotted in Orlando on Friday “with the rest of the WWE NXT crew traveling North for NXT Deadline.” Insider heard that “Izzi Dame traveled up for the show as well.”
- Insider reports that Athena’s broken nose is legit. It happened during a brawl with Billie Starkz at the ROH taping in Montreal when she was “tossed into a guard rail or a ring post.“
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.