Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Dominik Mysterio has re-signed with WWE, per PW Insider. Two sources confirmed the deal, with one of them saying it was a five year contract (the other was unsure of the duration).
- Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer followed up that report by saying Rey Mysterio has also signed a new contract with WWE.
- In his latest “Backstage Report”, Sean Ross Sapp said Shawn Michaels comments about welcoming CM Punk to NXT prior to Punk’s WWE return were meaningful to Punk. A source also told Sapp that Punk & HBK got along well behind-the-scenes when Punk appeared at Deadline. Both are likely factors in Punk being at the Performance Center so much.
- Sapp also reported that Mercedes Moné is no longer under contract to New Japan, but disputed social media rumors claiming WWE creative was told to prep for a Sasha Banks return.
- Also from SRS: “We have been told that WWE plans on renewing talks with multiple Superstars after the new year, but we haven’t been told that Mercedes is among them.”
- “As of last week” Kazuchika Okada “was not on WWE’s radar for the immediate future,” at least according to a FightFans source at the company.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.