Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- According to Fightful Select, now that CM Punk is back in WWE, several people in the company are pushing for the long-awaited dream match between Punk and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Many people in WWE are optimistic the match will finally happen, with one source indicating that CM and WWE have already discussed multiple ideas for it.
- It sounds like a lot of the negativity Ric Flair referred to on social media is fan outrage related to a promo line taped for Rampage where he apparently invited all women in the audience 18 to 28 years old to meet him at his hotel room, no boyfriends or husbands. The line is expected to be cut from the broadcast that airs tonight.
- Per Wrestling Observer Radio’s Dave Meltzer, Sammy Guevara was cleared to return to AEW over one week ago from the concussion he suffered in October at the WrestleDream pay-per-view. His return was delayed until after Tay Melo gave birth, so he’ll be back soon.
- PW Insider was told that Impact Wrestling made a “fantastic, massive offer” for Will Ospreay to sign with them. The offer was apparently in the seven-figure range. Many wrestlers in Impact expected Ospreay would sign after he cut a promo about wanting to wrestle in a TNA ring.
- Meltzer and his co-host Bryan Alvarez speculated that The Devil in AEW might end up being Mustafa Ali or Sami Callihan, who have worked previous gimmicks as hackers. Meltzer bolstered Sami’s case by saying “he’s been backstage at shows.”
- Even though AEW has yet to announce next week’s Gold League matches in the Continental Classic tournament, Meltzer claims that Tony Khan has the entire tournament completely planned out from start to finish.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.