Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- WrestleVotes says they were told “everything at Raw was good last night as far as camaraderie backstage throughout the day in Nashville,” so no early problems with CM Punk on his first full night in WWE at a show.
- PW Insider notes that Punk’s promo was originally set to go longer but it had to be shortened due to timing issues and Randy Orton vs. Dominik Mysterio going longer than planned.
- They also say that at least as of right now there has been no discussion of AJ Lee making a return to WWE despite Punk mentioning her in his promo.
- Last one from Insider: he still hasn’t been assigned to either the Raw or SmackDown roster internally.
- Meanwhile, Haus of Wrestling is saying Punk is “looking to move past the drama of AEW entirely and has no plans to address any of what happened there.”
- Wrapping up on Punk: Fightful Select brings word that Bryan Danielson led the disciplinary committee that ultimately made the decision to fire CM Punk from AEW.
- The original plans for the Tag Team Turmoil match on Raw this week were changed around a bit, per Fightful. Originally, DIY was to defeat Alpha Academy and then lose to the Creed Brothers, who would also defeat the final three teams ending with The New Day. Instead, DIY defeated Indus Sher after Alpha Academy, and the Creeds went over Imperium to win the match.
- In talking about Dynamite/Collision running long, Dave Meltzer said on Wrestling Observer Radio that Tony Khan/AEW is doing well with TBS because they can simply ask for more time, even on the fly, and have that request granted.
- Regarding QT Marshall’s departure from AEW, Haus of Wrestling notes his influence backstage “deteriorated quickly” following Cody Rhodes’ departure and “he believes AEW is heading in a more NJPW-related direction that is more focused on matches than storytelling.”
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.