Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- On Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez said there were multiple stories going around backstage at WWE about Mandy Rose’s release for posting racy material on her FanTime page. Some believe she “was totally caught off guard,” only finding out she was being let go when she showed up for work on Tuesday. Others say she & WWE came to a “mutual agreement” she was leaving. Another version claims the two sides agreed she was leaving, but Rose was surprised when WWE moved up the timeline.
- Mixed up in this is the decision to have Roxanne Perez beat Rose for the NXT Women’s title. Alvarez say it was planned to happen on Jan. 10 regardless. Dave Meltzer tweeted that doing the change this week was “a last minute decision”, but it’s not clear if he meant the decision to do the change at all, or the decision to do it on Dec. 13.
- There’s also speculation, on F4WOnline’s The Board and elsewhere, that WWE backtracked on the Bobby Lashley angle from Raw to avoid having a storyline firing in the headlines alongside Mandy Rose’s actual firing.
- Triple H & his team are “severely underwhelmed” by some of the talent they brought back to WWE since he took over creative, per WrestleVotes.
- Sources told Voices of Wrestling that Sasha Banks and Stardom had talks shortly after she walked out of WWE, but that the joshi promotion left the table after hearing her asking price. The president of Stardom & NJPW’s parent company Bushiroad later approved signing Banks to solidify Stardom as Japan’s second biggest wrestling promotion.
- VOW’s report says Sasha’s limited appearance deal will make her the highest paid contract wrestler working for Bushiroad. Her rate is said to be much higher than what Chris Jericho was paid during his 2017-2020 New Japan run.
- NXT will be ditching the “rainbow” title belts introduced during the 2.0 era in favor of “the prior non-colored ones,” per Belt Fan Dan.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.