Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- Matt Riddle was written off television because he failed a drug test and is being sent to rehab, sources told Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam.net. This is apparently Riddle’s second failed test. His first one led to the SummerSlam injury angle that put his feud with Seth Rollins on hold — not the “creative adjustments” that were reported at the time.
- Court documents obtained by David Bixenspan also indicate the tests and time off could be related to Riddle’s divorce case.
- “Someone who is familiar with the creative plans” told WrestlingNews.co that Brock Lesnar vs. Gunther is currently planned for WrestleMania 39.
- Fightful Select reports recent main roster storyline pitches have involved NXT’s Von Wagner and Cameron Grimes, an indication their call-ups are being discussed. The report also says WWE plans to have a steady flow of talent from NXT to the main roster, cutting down on the number of people who spend a long time in NXT.
- Karl Anderson’s NEVER Openweight title defense on Wednesday won’t be his last New Japan appearance, per PW Insider. NJPW’s long had plans for Anderson to have a “strong role” at Wrestle Kingdom 17 in a singles match, and WWE, New Japan & The Good Brothers were able to work out a deal that wouldn’t require those plans to change.
- WWE officials are very happy with the buzz around NXT’s Sol Ruca after her finishing move from Level Up went viral, according to Fightful.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.