Ring of Honor’s next live shows are soon upon us, and the cards have been filled out with title fights and a cage match. Glory by Honor is scheduled for two evenings (Friday, Aug. 20 & Saturday, Aug. 21) from 2300 Arena in Philadelphia, PA. Let’s break down the cards.
⛓GLORY BY HONOR⛓— ROH Wrestling (@ringofhonor) August 5, 2021
JOIN US LIVE IN PHILLY AT THE @2300Arena AUGUST 20TH & 21ST
*More matches tba*
Can’t join us in person? #GloryByHonor will be streaming live on HonorClub! Join today at https://t.co/KrfEyQvw2Y
Tickets: https://t.co/0HLCsyO4dI pic.twitter.com/9hYtoCI5rZ
The Night 1 lineup for Glory by Honor includes:
- ROH World Championship: Bandido (c) vs. Flip Gordon
- ROH Pure Championship: Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Rhett Titus
- Brody King, Tony Deppen, Chris Dickinson, & Homicide vs. Rush, Dragon Lee, Kenny King, & Bestia del Ring
- Briscoes vs. Bateman & Dutch
- Six-man Mayhem: Mike Bennett vs. PJ Black vs. Danhausen vs. Demonic Flamita vs. Dak Draper vs. Eli Isom (Winner earns a spot in world title rankings)
- EC3 vs. Brian Johnson
- Silas Young vs. Rey Horus
This will be Bandido’s first title defense since winning gold from Rush. Flip Gordon is finally receiving the opportunity to cash in a title shot he won before the COVID pandemic ran wild. Gordon holds a 2-0 edge in singles competition over Bandido in ROH.
Jonathan Gresham and Rhett Titus are Foundation teammates. On the surface, it seems odd that they would wrestle against one another for the Pure Championship. However, the Foundation is all about competition to find out who is best. That’s why there was no hesitation on Gresham’s behalf to honor Titus’ challenge.
The Night 2 lineup for Glory by Honor includes:
- Steel Cage Match: Matt Taven vs. Vincent (Taven’s world title shot is on the line)
- Bandido & Rey Horus vs. Rush & Dragon Lee
- Brody King, Tony Deppen, Chris Dickinson, & Homicide vs. Jay Lethal, Jonathan Gresham, Tracy Williams, & Rhett Titus
- ROH World Six-Man Championship: Shane Taylor, Moses, & Kaun (c) vs. Delirious, Hallowicked, & Frightmare
- Briscoes vs. Flip Gordon & Demonic Flamita
- Dalton Castle vs. Danhausen
- Chelsea Green & Willow vs. Rok-C & Miranda Alize
Matt Taven and Vincent headline the second night of action. Taven is looking to finally end the lengthy feud with Vincent. Taven was so determined to get this match that he offered to put his career on the line. Vincent declined and instead proposed that Taven put his future world title shot up for grabs. Taven still has a contractual rematch from when he lost the ROH World Championship to Rush. The idea is that Vincent wants Taven to suffer the humiliation of seeing him become world champ.
Violence Unlimited continues faction warfare with bouts against Los Ingobernables and the Foundation. This is all about bragging rights in proving themselves as the most dominant foursome in ROH.
The Briscoes have reunited after their Fight on the Farm. The focus is back to tag team action. Papa Briscoe ordered Jay and Mark to start from the bottom and climb back to the top en route to chasing the ROH tag titles. I suspect they will emerge victorious against both Bateman & Dutch and Flip Gordon & Demonic Flamita. One interesting wrinkle is on Night 2. Gordon’s heelish treatment of Flamita was what began the luchador’s slide to the rudo side. Flamita felt he had to use unsavory tactics to match Gordon’s tendency to bend the rules. It will be curious to see if Flamita embraces Gordon as a partner or if he sabotages the team as payback.
More matches are expected to be added to both nights.
Which matches are you most excited for at Glory by Honor? Do you anticipate any title changes? Which bout will be the show-stealer?