clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Alberto Del Rio says ‘it’s just a matter of time’ before sexual assault case against him is dismissed

New, 20 comments

Alberto El Patron, formerly known as Alberto Del Rio, gives an update on his criminal court case.

Alberto El Patron, formerly known as Alberto Del Rio, expects to soon put behind him the sexual assault and assault charges he is facing.

El Patron’s trial was scheduled to being on Aug. 2 after being delayed twice, first in January and later on May 3. The former WWE champion faces one count of sexual assault and one count of assault causing bodily harm in his resident state of Texas following allegations levied by an ex-partner. El Patron previously said that his former partner dropped the charges and apologized, and in a new interview gives an update on the case’s status.

“It’s still going. It’s still pending. But we’re just waiting. Everything is looking good. I have said what I needed to say in the past. Unfortunately, I can no longer talk about it because every time I say something, it affects my case,” El Patron tells Cageside Seats’s Shakiel Mahjouri. “I went out and I said what I was approved to say. That ended up hurting me a little bit. All I can say is that the truth always comes to light. We’re doing good. The authorities in Texas are doing their job.

“My legal team is doing a fantastic job. It’s just a matter of time. It’s really difficult for me and my family to hear those things. Everybody talks about the five years to life in prison. That sounds horrible, but why does nobody say, ‘Or he’s going to be proven innocent.’ I have already said it. She has already withdrawn her charges. He has already talked to the DA’s [District Attorney’s] office and told them the truth. She apologized and gave us a public apology and everything. Everything people need to know is out there. I share a lot of stuff in the past but unfortunately, I can’t talk about it. What was supposed to be over last week got delayed because somebody got upset and I understand [it]. Me being me, a high-profile case. It's difficult. As I said in my previous interviews, call me whatever, but I didn’t do any of those things.”

El Patron explains why the Bexar County District Attorney still has the case open despite his ex-partner’s status.

“It doesn’t matter. When it comes to cases like that, especially with the women’s movement and everything going on when it comes to family law, it doesn’t matter if I drop the charges or she drops the charges. The state follows it and it doesn’t end until the state says that it’s over,” he says. “It doesn’t matter if someone goes and drops the charges. It’s up to the state to decide when this is over. To me, I just respect the law in the great state of Texas. To me, it shouldn’t be like that.”

In a follow-up statement, Keith McMahon — who serves as El Patron’s lawyer — clarified the current status of the criminal case.

“While we expect the DA to dismiss the case after they perform their due diligence he cannot commit to that any further at this time,” McMahon wrote.

El Patron is currently doing a media tour in Mexico.

Finished reading? Want to keep going? Click here for more exclusive interviews.