Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- WrestlingNews.co was told that WWE hopes The Rock will wrestle at Survivor Series 2021. WWE wants him there to celebrate 25 years since his WWF debut at Survivor Series 1996.
- Mat Men’s Andrew Zarian mentioned that WWE originally wanted a deal with Brock Lesnar for SummerSlam 2021, but they ended up working out a deal with John Cena instead. Even so, Lesnar will be “returning soon.”
- According to Fightful, one of the ideas that NBC pitched to WWE for a gimmick theme show was “NFL Night,” which would include football-related matches and angles. The idea of a “Points Month” was also introduced, with wrestlers accumulating points for certain achievements and moves.
- Following up on last week’s rumor about Piper Niven’s likely name on the main roster, WWE filed a trademark for “Doudrop” last Monday, June 14.
- PW Insider was told that NXT wrestler Ridge Holland has “thrown himself into rehab in a massive way” and is seen nearly every day at the Performance Center. He’s been praised for maintaining a great attitude despite the gruesome nature of his lower body injuries.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.