After last night’s bombshell report that Daniel Bryan’s WWE contract expired on Fri. April 30 after his loss to Roman Reigns and “banishment” from SmackDown, there’s been a lot of chatter about Bryan’s future.
This special edition of our Rumor Roundup feature is a way to put those various tidbits in one place and give you a chance to discuss them. Feel free to share anything you’ve heard or read in the comments (usual rumor caveats* apply)!
Daniel Bryan, Free Agent Rumors:
- WWE “is pushing hard for him to sign a new deal”, according to Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer. Meltzer also confirmed that Bryan’s current contract ended on April 30.
- Per PW Insider, Bryan does not factor into any of the company’s current creative plans, and within the last 72 hours he’s been officially removed from the internal roster. The site says the two sides are still talking.
- Insider was unable to confirm is he has a separate deal to appear on Total Bellas.
- Sources at WWE told Fightful Select that “Bryan didn’t make a big deal about his contract expiring”. Many didn’t hear the news from Bryan at all, but “through the grapevine over the past few weeks”.
- Fightful’s Ring of Honor contacts said the company will reach out to Bryan to at least get him to make a few appearances. ROH officials “been completely out of contact with him in recent years.”
- While the site emphasizes it hasn’t been able to confirm their speculation, two AEW talents Fightful spoke to both believe Bryan will re-sign with WWE, with one “outright saying” they heard he’s staying put.
* If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.