Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer mentioned that WWE brought in a bunch of potential advertising clients to Survivor Series, where Stephanie McMahon told them that WWE content is available in over 900 million homes, the company runs 500 live events in a normal year, and over 75% of the WWE audience is in the key 18 to 49 year old demographic.
- Meltzer also said WWE is trying to sign Johnny Gargano to a multi-year contract, but a deal has not been reached. It’s not a given that Gargano is leaving the company, as his circumstances aren’t as “open and shut” as Adam Cole’s were when his WWE contract was expiring in late August.
- It sounds like AEW’s upcoming TNT special, Battle of the Belts, is scheduled to only be an hour long.
- There has already been some interest in calling up NXT wrestler Odyssey Jones to the main roster in WWE.
- WWE has filed to trademark the ring name “Sofia Cromwell.” They have also filed for a trademark on “ECW”, for the purposes of video games and merchandise.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.