Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- According to PW Insider, plans call for SmackDown’s top heel to be Roman Reigns. The brand’s top face will be Bray Wyatt.
- A source tells WrestlingNews.co that WWE is planning a long Universal title reign for Reigns, up until at least WrestleMania 37.
- Speaking of next year’s WrestleMania, Charlotte Flair shot down a report (based on a quote from her father, Ric) that she would not be back for the show... while taking a well-deserved shot at the website reporting it.
- Tom Colohue of Sportskeeda says that WWE was planning to run a Drew McIntyre/Randy Orton rematch at Payback, but it was thrown out as part of Vince McMahon’s late changes to last Monday’s Raw.
- In addition to this week’s show, according to USA’s schedule the NHL playoffs will bump NXT to Tuesday on Sept. 8, too. WWE will air replays both Wednesdays on SyFy. A source told Wrestling Observer Radio’s Dave Meltzer it’s because they don’t want Dynamite running unopposed.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.