Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- PW Insider says WWE did film a version Extreme Rules Eye For An Eye match that used “prosthetic make-up” to show Rey Mysterio’s eye popping out, but Vince McMahon hated it so it wasn’t used.
- Ric Flair was spotted making a Starbucks run in Georgia without a mask, which has caused a stir since The New York Post reports Flair tested positive for COVID last Wednesday. The Nature Boy denies that, but confirmed his wife Wendy has the virus. He says they live on different floors of their house. Flair was not on Monday’s Raw.
- A source told WrestlingNews.co Vince McMahon is “not sweating” WWE’s recent TV numbers. USA & Fox allegedly are happy, and Vince thinks audiences will climb back over two million when fans can attend tapings, which he believes will happen in September. McMahon is “doing what he can by putting on PPV matches on Raw and SmackDown” though.
- Dave Meltzer & Bryan Alvarez speculated on Wrestling Observer Radio the reason the finish to Asuka vs. Sasha Banks at Extreme Rules was changed was so the rematch could happen on Raw to hopefully pop a number.
- Impact has discussed a TNA spin-off series, according to PW Insider. AXS TV is said to be high on the idea.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.