Don’t have time to follow all of AEW’s online content? Don’t worry. We got you covered with the AEW Rewind, which will rewind through social media bits and YouTube videos from the past week to prepare you for Dynamite tonight.
We’ll start with happy news. The Superbad couple of Penelope Ford and Kip Sabian have gotten engaged. Three cheers for the happy duo.
Thank you everyone for all the love and congratulations for the most amazing day of our lives. Ahh #ENGAGED !!! pic.twitter.com/FRZU5cxHvp— Penelope Ford (@thePenelopeFord) April 5, 2020
In other good news, Anna Jay has become an official member of AEW.
Hard times breed better men ...and women— Cody (@CodyRhodes) April 6, 2020
Anna Jay showed up and stepped up. Hung in there with an absolute killer like Shida! Congratulations. https://t.co/DnqMS9ls73
Jay debuted last week against Hikaru Shida and looked solid in defeat. Jay was trained by QT Marshall.
Speaking of Shida, her kendo stick has gone missing.
I really hope Britt Baker shows up with it for their match tonight.
My favorite clip this week is a new production from Taz. He analyzed the Cross Rhodes by Cody Rhodes in, “Technique by Taz.” It is very informative.
Hope you guys enjoy these, I will do a more soon.— TAZ (@OfficialTAZ) April 6, 2020
This is #TechniqueByTaz on @CodyRhodes CrossRhodes. #AEWDynamite #AEW pic.twitter.com/G6HfkxxQ1i
Orange Cassidy broke the news to Chuck Taylor and Trent that they aren’t in the TNT Championship tournament.
SOCIAL EXCLUSIVE@orangecassidy had to break the bad news to @trentylocks & @SexyChuckieT.— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) April 2, 2020
Watch #AEWDynamite every Wednesday night on @TNTDrama 8e/7c. #AEWonTNT @AEWonTNT pic.twitter.com/hGvSj8486K
AEW Road to...
AEW’s, “Road to TNT Championship,” (here) featured:
- New interview with Jake “The Snake” Roberts. He gave credit to Marko Stunt for getting in the ring with Lance Archer, but there are some thing you don’t do. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t spit into the wind, and you don’t get in the ring with Lance Archer. Roberts has felt ignored, looked over, and shunned. He blames jealousy over Archer being an animal. AEW and Cody Rhodes should listen to Roberts or they will regret it.
- New interview with Cody Rhodes and Shawn Spears to hype their TNT Championship tournament match on Dynamite. Spears’ goal is to get to the top. There aren’t a lot of firsts left in wrestling anymore. Winning this title would put Spears on the map. He’s also looking for redemption in beating Cody after losing their feud. Cody referred to winning the TNT title as romantic. The stipulation prohibiting him to challenge for the AEW World Championship remains an albatross that haunts him. The TNT belt is a championship he can now go for. Rhodes sounded bittersweet about being relegated to this tournament.
This video is worth watching if you have 5 minutes to blow. Roberts is always interesting to listen to. Rhodes and Spears frame their motivations to make this tournament important.
Being the Elite
“On The BTE Compound” - Being The Elite, Ep. 198 (here) featured:
- Peter Avalon arrived at someone’s home. Avalon was impressed by the view, landscaping, and big house. Avalon knocked on the door and Brandon Cutler answered. Avalon shouted at him for being a loser. Avalon took a 3-hour Uber ride just to continue their shtick. Cutler accused Avalon of growing a neck beard so he could be a troll. Avalon actually came to ask Cutler to become a tag team. Will two losing streaks make a winning streak? Cutler was on board with the idea. Avalon got them a match right now.
- The opponents for Avalon and Cutler were Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian. Excalibur was on commentary. This was a full match at about 7 minutes in duration. Rick Knox was the referee. The Young Bucks were cameramen. Avalon and Cutler were so-so as a team and had one very vocal miscommunication. For the finish, CD helped Kaz block a pin from Avalon. Cutler tried to sunset flip pin CD. Both CD and Kaz leaned forward to secure a double pin win. I’m not sure who were the legal men. Cutler and Avalon argued about who actually lost.
- Luchasaurus roamed the street looking for his tail. Cut to the Morrison family dog, Prince Presley. Taya was drinking wine and singing. Luchasaurus banged on her door. Presley barked then looked back to Taya to let him in. Luchasaurus apocalypse-shamed Taya for drinking at 5 am. Luchasaurus wanted to talk to his friends in his time in need, but Taya threw that back at him about his new friends Jurassic Express and leaving Johnny and her behind. Taya mentioned Super Panda. That triggered a thought for Luchasaurus.
- CD wanted to ask Matt Jackson a question about disinfecting the ring. Matt made clear that they adhere to social distancing.
- Scorpio Sky was pulled over by two goofs behind the camera. CD and Kaz were playing those roles as different characters. They argued about who is the best in SCU. They fished for a bribe. Sky drove off.
- Kenny Omega provided a health update on his hand from the undisclosed location of Dynamite. There is a very exclusive list of who can be there. Colt Cabana was in the background trying to get on camera. Omega turned around to see Cabana. They continued their slapstick gag by running around the entrance tunnels.
- The Young Bucks had an exhibition match against a couple of tomato cans. Their opponents were Team High Risk, Simon Lotto and Steven Andrews. CD and Kaz were the cameramen. Nick was a little rusty. Andrews hit a couple cool moves with a step-up tope con hilo and a shooting star press. Nick got back in the groove and picked up the winning pin after a teamwork double knees.
- Nick has something in mind to prove he’s back at 100%. It was not revealed what Nick was thinking.
- Kaz approached the enhancement talent that just lost to the Bucks. Kaz paid them a backhand compliment about being jobbers that showed heart and balls. Kaz did his ‘Do ya!?!’ routine about racking weights, and the jabrones got uppity. Kaz proposed a squash match for next week.
Not a whole lot in this episode seem applicable for Dynamite. The main takeaway would be Nick Jackson working his way back to ring shape. The matches in this episode were okay for what they were. If you’re yearning for SCU and the Young Bucks, then you’ll enjoy those. The appearance of Taya and bonus shot of Prince Presley was the top moment for me. I was not expecting that surprise at all. The chase scene with Kenny Omega and Colt Cabana is good for a chuckle.
We’ll close with cool Star Wars artwork featuring Jon Moxley and Chris Jericho.
Now if you’ll excuse me, time to jam to Figrin D’an and the Modal Nodes from the Mos Eisley Cantina. Woodwind instruments never sounded better.