Don’t have time to follow all of AEW’s online content? Don’t worry. We got you covered with the AEW Rewind, which will rewind through social media bits and YouTube videos from the past week to prepare you for Dynamite tonight.
AEW’s, “Road to TNT Championship,” (here) featured:
- Jenn Decker provided a breakdown of stories and motivations leading into the semifinals of the TNT Championship tournament. Cody Rhodes wrestles Darby Allin, and Dustin Rhodes wrestles Lance Archer.
- Brandi Rhodes and QT Marshall had a video chat with Dustin about his match with Archer. Dustin is not scared. Lance is a big bastard, but Dustin has fought big bastards before. They talked a little bit of strategy. Dustin chose Brandi to be ringside and for QT to stay close by in the back. As for the possibility of Dustin vs Cody in the finals, they all agreed to cross that bridge when they get there.
- Leva Bates wrote a letter to her dearest companion, Peter Avalon. She longs for a conclusion to his rivalry with Brandon Cutler. In the meantime, she will take on the mission to help find Hikaru Shida’s missing kendo stick.
- Jake “The Snake” Roberts gave his thoughts about Dustin. Dustin squeaked by last week to avoid retirement. He’s not ready for the monster known as Archer. Archer is going to F up Dustin. It is better to acknowledge this truth and walk away. Or else, Dustin will be carried away.
- Tony Schiavone had a sitdown chat with Darby Allin. Tony referred to the match against Cody as a special moment for Darby. Darby disputed that idea. He respects Cody, but it is not special. Darby questioned where to draw the line from being grateful to being an ass-kisser. In their first match, Darby was a little starstruck by the moment. In their second match, Arn Anderson was the key with his coaching. For this third match, Arn won’t be there. No one has ever kicked out of the Coffin Drop. Darby guaranteed that Cody won’t be the first to do so.
This episode is worth watching, although, some of the segments could be aired on television. AEW has been starting to use “Road to” material to fill time on Dynamite. Leva Bates had a nice little character piece. If you enjoy language and big words, you may find her segment interesting. Jake speaking with threats of violence is always cool. The close with Darby gives insight into his mindset.
Being the Elite
“A Message In The Sky” - Being The Elite, Ep. 201 (here) featured:
- Matt Jackson thought BTE was done after 200 episodes, but Nick Jackson was bored and wanted to do another episode. In reference to last week’s cliffhanger about one more thing to do, Nick shared some bad news. Doctors said his health is at 15%. He won’t return to the ring for awhile. Matt said his lower back pain will last another two years. They looked up to the sky... Cliffhanger as a new intro package rolled.
- PJ Black was burning a feather with a candle. Luchasaurus called him about losing his tail. Black assessed that Luchasaurus has a blockage in the root chakra, probably occurring in the 12th overtone of the 4th dimension. PJ mixed some potions to help.
- Brandon Cutler started the Kick Out Challenge. He brought back local jobbers to assist. The challenge was to keep kicking out of various pin covers. At the end, the jobbers tabletopped Cutler then got the three count on a jackknife pin. Cutler was furious at losing again.
- Colt Cabana sneaked into the show to make a commercial for the Young Bucks’ book. The ad was more about how Cabana fit into their story.
- Superkick montage from the Bucks.
- Back to PJ Black. He had the potion ready for Luchasaurus to go follow guides in metaphysical realm. Luchasaurus downed the potions then conked out. He was haunted by his mother, who had big ole fossilized titties. Next came flashbacks from criticisms when he was Judas Devlin. A cameo from a demonic Taya in John Morrison’s furry coat followed. Luchasaurus found Super Panda’s mask then decided to stop running and fight his demons. Luchasaurus was getting his butt kicked when Super Panda appeared for the save in an homage to Valeria in Conan the Barbarian. Luchasaurus finally woke up. He shit his pants and used that as a hint to head to Panda Express.
- Private Party was discussing that strange dude that jumped them last time they were on BTE. Isiah Kassidy dropped a face mask. Marq Quen put the pieces together that Kassidy was the mystery dude. Kassidy was upset about the accusation and stormed off. Quen realized his error and chased after Kassidy.
- Back to the Young Bucks. They saw FTR written in the sky.
This episode was so-so. Luchasaurus is a whining chump. I really like the dinosaur on Dynamite, but I root for his demise on BTE. As for the highlights, I popped for Cutler being pinned, appearances from PJ Black and Taya, and the Conan reference. I wonder if Nick Jackson’s health update was to quiet speculation that he could come back to replace Matt Hardy in Blood & Guts, whenever that epic encounter actually takes place.
There is also a 45-minute clip show (here) celebrating the first 200 episodes of BTE.
A Shot of Brandi (here) featured Priscilla Kelly as the guest. Brandi and Priscilla made lemon bars and drank lemon martinis. Kelly discussed developing her wrestler character, meeting Darby Allin, and going on their first “date.” There were also cameos from various dogs, Cody, and Preston Vance. To my disappointment, there was no trash-talk between wives of competing husbands as Cody wrestles Darby on Dynamite in the TNT Championship tournament.
We’ll close with Cody stirring the pot between Mr. Brodie Lee and Wardlow.
Judging by these last 2 matches and how violent they’ve been, I’m positive Wardlow and Mr. Brodie have “big guy heat”— Cody (@CodyRhodes) April 23, 2020
That is a mini feud I’d like to see. Two big dudes hossing it up? Yes, please. MJF interacting with Mr. Brodie? Yes, please.