Speculating on the rumors surrounding pro wrestling is a favored pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors being churned out by the pro wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: Rumors are just that — rumors. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the pro wrestling rumor mill. We track rumor accuracy in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors for the Day:
- There’s “no heat” on Pat McAfee, per Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio. He thinks NXT isn’t using McAfee because they don’t want to rely on him, “it’s better in smaller doses.”
- In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, it was reported “WWE has been making overtures now toward some of the top level Impact talent to find out when contracts expire.”
- According to Fightful, a number of the contract extensions Impact talent signed in early 2019 were completed months before they were publicly announced, so there could be more free agents next month than expected.
- WWE was going to hold off on a Bobby Lashley/Riddle United States title match until Royal Rumble, but Fightful Select claims the company’s discussed doing it before the Jan. 31 PPV.
- The Observer also says that while AEW did trademark the name, “Elevation” is not the name they’ll use for their second show on TNT.
If you have heard of any interesting rumors that you’d like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take them as such. And check our weekly Rumor Look Back here to keep track of how often rumors turn out to be correct.