Pro Wrestling Illustrated has been publishing their list of the top 500 wrestlers every year for almost three decades. In 2008, they started doing an annual ranking of the top 100 women’s wrestlers. And this year, they’ve created a version for tag teams... the PWI Tag Team 50.
In creating the list, the publication looked at kayfabe accomplishments from October 1, 2019 through September 30, 2020. They also evaluate based on some more flexible criteria like chemistry, creativity, and “it” factor.
Perhaps unsurprisingly given two of the company’s founders are tag wrestlers, AEW took the top two spots. WWE, New Japan and Impact are all represented after FTR in first and the team they beat for AEW’s Tag titles in second.
Congratulations to @DaxFTR & @CashWheelerFTR for being ranked #1 in the inaugural PWI #TagTeam50!— PWI (@OfficialPWI) November 18, 2020
Preorder your print copy of our Tag Team Special—featuring a Hotseat interview with FTR and MUCH MORE—at https://t.co/9sKkrAOCnq pic.twitter.com/n2mNSRxRk4
1. FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler)
2. Kenny Omega & Adam Page
3. Golden Role Models (Bayley & Sasha Banks)
4. The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander)
5. Street Profits (Montez Ford & Angelo Dawkins)
6. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa)
7. Lucha Bros (Rey Fenix & Penta El Zero M)
8. The New Day (Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods & Big E)
9. Kabuki Warriors (Asuka & Kairi Sane)
10. Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh)
Interestingly, those AEW Executive Vice-Presidents mentioned above didn’t crack the top ten. The Young Bucks snub is my pick to be one of the most talked about features of this new list.
Give us yours in the comments below, Cagesiders.