AAA has one of their big shows set for Sunday, June 3 from Plaza de Toros “La Monumental” in Monterrey. Verano de Escandalo (Summer of Scandal) will be headlined by Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Dr. Wagner Jr in a battle for the Mega Campeonato.
The show will be streaming live on Twitch starting at 7pm ET, I think. Verano de Escandalo is not yet listed on the future events page, but the poster says the show starts at 6pm local time. That uncertainty fits with the vibe of this post, because I have no clue what is going on with the stories of the show. I’ve been out of the lucha libre loop for a few months. I also question how quickly this card was slapped together. Rey Mysterio was announced back in April. As for the rest of the bouts, the link of the AAA website has a poster full of luchador sorpresas. Their Twitter post does have an up to date poster though.
But, that is neither here nor there. It is lucha libre. Yeah! Taking place in a bull ring. Yeah! And Verano de Escandalo will always remind me of the song, “Escandolo,” back in my Acapulco days when it was blaring out from bus speakers. Yeah! If you enjoy a jamming horn section, check out that song.
On to the official card:
- Mega Campeonato: Dr. Wagner Jr. vs Rey Mysterio Jr.
- Hair vs Hair Lucha de Apuesta: Los OGTs (Averno, Chessman, and Super Fly) vs. El Nuevo Poder del Norte (Carta Brava Jr., Mocho Cota Jr., and Tito Santana)
- Psycho Clown and El Hijo del Fantasma vs. Rey Escorpion and Brian Cage
- Pagano, Maximo, and La Mascara vs. Juventud Guerrera, El Texano Jr., and Kevin Kross
- 5-Way: Drago vs. Sammy Guevara vs. Aerostar vs. Australian Suicide vs. Darby Allin
- Lady Shani, Mamba, and Pimpinela Escarlata vs. La Hiedra, Black Danger, and Luchador Sorpresa
- Hijo de Vikingo, Starfire, Arkangel Divino, and Dinastia vs. Arez, Belial, Ultimo Maldito, and Lady Maravilla
Some quick thoughts. Last time I watched, Wagner was a good guy. Rey Mysterio is obviously still a good guy, so I’m not sure if it will be tecnico vs tecnico. However, based on Wagner’s Twitter profile picture, I’m going to say he’s a rudo. At least in my mind, he is. Aging playboy seems like a heel gimmick.
It looks like Cage will be back full time-ish with AAA. He cut a promo talking about going for the Mega Campeonato in the future. More Cage is always cool.
The 5-way should be fire. I’m most eager for that match. We already know what to expect from Drago, Aerostar, and Australian Suicide. I’m not familiar with Darby Allin or Sammy Guevara, but their feature videos make it look like they will fit right in. Allin ate concrete in some bigtime skateboard stunt. That must have been shown for a reason, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he does something crazy.
I don’t know who the Ultimo Maldito is, but I really like that name. It sounds rudo to the max. Color me intrigued.
Tune in Sunday at 7pm ET on the AAA Twitch channel for Verano de Escandolo. Who are you picking for the main event? Which match are you most looking forward to? Is, “Booyaka, booyaka,” or, “Bien, bien, bien, bien,” the better catchphrase?