With the block portion of this year’s World Tag League in the can and the finals happening on Sunday, New Japan Pro Wrestling have dropped the whole finals card on our laps, so let’s list ‘em out and break ‘em down!
World Tag League 2018 Finals (Dec. 9, 1AM Eastern / 10PM Pacific)
- Ayato Yoshida, Shota Umino, Toa Henare, & Togi Makabe vs. Manabu Nakanishi, TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima), & Yuji Nagata
- Best Friends (Beretta & Chuckie T), Jeff Cobb, & Michael Elgin vs. Suzuki-gun (Davey Boy Smith, Jr., Lance Archer, Minoru Suzuki, & Takashi Iizuka)
- Chaos (SHO, Tomohiro Ishii, & YOH) vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, & Zack Sabre, Jr.)
- Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Shingo Takagi, & Tetsuya Naito) vs. the Elite (Chase Owens, Hangman Page, & Yujiro Takahashi)
- Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, “Switchblade” Jay White, & Taiji Ishimori) vs. Chaos (Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano) & KUSHIDA
- FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson), Hiroshi Tanahashi, & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. the Elite (Kenny Omega, Marty Scurll, Matt Jackson, & Nick Jackson)
- Taichi vs. Will Ospreay (NEVER Openweight Championship #1 Contender’s Match)
- Hirooki Goto (c) vs. Kota Ibushi (NEVER Openweight Championship)
- Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) (World Tag League 2018 Finals)
So the big obvious and slightly disappointing takeaway out of that giant pile of undercard tags is that Okada and Tanahashi’s alliance won’t be reprised one last time here, but hey, the Rainmaker gets to indulge his mad-on and go hard after Switchblade one more time while the 1/100 Ace realigns himself to face his Wrestle Kingdom 13 opponent in an atomicos, so that ain’t bad. And it would have been quite a trick to get get White and Omega on the same page even just for one night, really.
And then we come to the tournament finals. Current champs the Guerrillas of Destiny wrestle Los Ingobernables de Japon-- now obviously if LIJ win, they’ll go on to face GoD for the third time, this time with the IWGP Tag Team Championship on the line at Wrestle Kingdom 13, but if the champions win, things are a little more up in the air. The obvious outcome in that scenario is that they’ll accept a challenge and would you look at that, the Young Bucks are right here in town to offer one!
And last but not least, our two big matches to get the NEVER back on track after Will Ospreay’s rib injury took him out of the last match for said title. We’ve known about Goto/Ibushi for a while now, but Ospreay returning to take Taichi on in a number one contender’s is a new development and seems pretty clearly designed to get us back to Will’s quest for that gold, whether against Goto (which would be a fine match to be sure) or against Ibushi (which holy hell that sounds bonkers).
Either way, I’m pretty excited to see the Aerial Assassin mix it up with the big boys.
There you have it, folks
The card for tonight/tomorrow/Sunday, Dec. 9’s (time zones are hard) World Tag League Finals is set. Like what you see, Cagesiders?