While WWE is in one of the least crucial stretches of their schedule, New Japan has their biggest show of the year right around the corner with Jan. 4’s Wrestle Kingdom 13. As you’d expect with their version of WrestleMania up next on the calendar, New Japan and their partners are getting the promotional machine in high gear.
For the company, that means things like today’s press conference unveiling future U.S. shows and the full card for the Tokyo Dome. For their American broadcast partner, AXS, that means announcing...
Wacky name aside, this is a smart way to get curious fans and occassional puroresu watches caught up with current IWGP Heavyweight champion Kenny Omega as he relects on the his amazing run of the past few years and gets ready to face one of the biggest stars in Japanese wrestling history at Wrestle Kingdom 13. Omega will host ten hours worth of matches picked to tell his story heading into his title defense against Hiroshi Tanahashi in what could be his swan song before heading somewhere else when his contract is up next month.
AXS is also planning to air some of Wrestle Kingdom’s greatest hits leading up to their first ever same day broadcast of the 2019 edition of the Tokyo Dome show.
Check out this trailer & their press release and get excited:
KENNY OMEGA REFLECTS ON HIS JOURNEY TO BECOMING CHAMPION IN AXS TV’S 10-HOUR ‘KENNY OMEGA-THON’ FRIDAY, DEC. 28 STARTING AT 2pE/11aP
Los Angeles (Dec. 10, 2018) – Join IWGP Heavyweight Champion and “Best Bout Machine” Kenny Omega as he revisits his journey toward becoming the champion and defending the belt at Wrestle Kingdom 13 as host of the 10-hour “Kenny Omega-thon” special on Friday, Dec. 28 starting at 2pE/11aP on AXS TV.
The marathon kicks off with Omega’s historic feat as the first non-Japanese wrestler to win the G1 Climax tournament in 2016, which set him on the path to the heavyweight title, and also features Omega’s acclaimed trilogy of matches with Kazuchika Okada; his run as IWGP U.S. Champion, including the highly publicized match with Chris Jericho at last year’s Wrestle Kingdom; and his current reign as IWGP Heavyweight Champion.
Leading up to AXS TV’s premiere of Wrestle Kingdom 13 on Jan. 4 at 8pE/5pP, the network will air a late-night strip of the best of Wrestle Kingdom on weeknights at 5aE/2aP starting Friday, Dec. 7. Highlights include headlining matches from the last five Wrestle Kingdom Events including: Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi’s trilogy from 2013, 2015 and 2016; Okada’s battles with Tetsuya Naito from 2014 and 2018; Naito vs. Tanahashi from 2017 and many more.
“Kenny Omega-thon” Schedule (subject to change) – Friday, Dec. 28 at 2pE/11aP:
· 2pE – G1 Climax 26 Final – Kenny Omega vs. Hirooki Goto
· 3pE – Wrestle Kingdom 11 – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada
· 4pE – Dominion 2017 – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Okada
· 5pE – G1 Special in USA – IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship Tournament Final –Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii
· 6pE – Wrestle Kingdom 12 – IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Chris Jericho
· 7pE – New Beginning in Sapporo 2018 – IWGP U.S. Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Jay White
· 8pE – Dominion 2018 – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Okada (2 hr)
· 10pE – G1 Special in San Francisco – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Cody
· 11pE – King of Pro-Wrestling 2018 – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Omega vs. Cody vs. Kota Ibushi