Welcome back to the Sermon on the Mat, your weekly one-stop shop for news from the wider world of wrestling beyond the big cable TV monoliths that get all the coverage.
CMLL Super Viernes (Nov. 16, 9:30PM Eastern)
- Astral & Electrico vs. Espanto, Jr. & Grako
- Amapola, Dalys, & Tiffany vs. La Guerrera, Lluvia, & Marcela
- Esfinge, Guerrero Maya, Jr., & Rey Cometa vs. Misterioso, Jr., Okumura, & Vangellys
- Barbaro Cavernario, Dragon Rojo, Jr., El Felino, Kawato San, Mephisto, Templario, Tiger, & Virus vs. El Audaz, Flyer, King Phoenix, Mistico, Soberano, Jr., Titan, Triton, & Volador, Jr. (Torneo de la Leyenda de Plata 2018)
- Caristico, Diamante Azul, & El Valiente vs. Los Guerreros Laguneros (Gran Guerrero & Ultimo Guerrero) & Penta el Zero M
CMLL are back in the legendary Arena Mexico for your weekly Friday night dose of lucha libre action, and it’s time for Leyenda de Plata! The annual tournament honors the legend of El Santo, and in recent years largely takes the form of a cibernetico, so while those sixteen men will start off in teams, regardless of if all members of one team are eliminated, the action will continue until we’re left with two men who will then go on to have a finals at a later date. Exciting!
Check it out, as always, free for nothin’ on Marca Claro, folks, and the VOD will go up on CMLL’s YouTube channel (where they also stream shows every Monday and Tuesday free of charge) after the fact for those of you who can’t watch live.
Freelance Hired Gun (Nov. 16, 9PM Central)
- Ari Azteca vs. Bucky Collins vs. Chris Castro vs. Danger Mask vs. Gregory Iron vs. Scott Story (Scramble Match)
- Arik Cannon vs. Mark Wheeler
- Alex Ohlson vs. Mik Drake
- Logan Black vs. Rickey Shane Page
- N-Words (Acid Jaz & Bryce Benjamin) vs. Space Pirates (Shane Sabre & Space Monkey)
- Team GPA (Anthony Henry, Eye Candy Elliott, GPA, & James Drake) vs. Team Kylie (Craig Mitchell, Gringo Loco, Isaias Velazquez, & Kylie Rae) (Elimination Match)
Freelance Wrestling are back in Chicago, Illinois, and they’re bringing a taste of that Survivor Series action with a hell of an elimination tag main event! Tag champions the WorkHorsemen and overall champion Velazquez are locked up in it and seeing as it’s the next chapter in the storied feud between GPA and Kylie Rae, you know it’s gonna be hot, hot, hot! Plus the trademark scramble, a hype tag match that could help determine the next challengers, and a lot of fresh faces in singles matches and it all adds up to a great looking show in the freelance tradition, folks.
GCW Joey Janela’s LA Confidential (Nov. 16, 8PM Pacific)
- Fatu vs. KTB
- Human Tornado vs. Penelope Ford
- DJ Z vs. Marko Stunt
- Brody King vs. Hardcore Holly
- D’Lo Brown vs. “All Ego” Ethan Page
- Amazing Red vs. Great Sasuke
- David Arquette vs. Nick Gage (c) (GCW World Championship)
GCW are headed to Los Angeles, California for all the Survivor Series festivities and my god where do I even start? Amazing Red vs. Great Sasuke in an indie legend vs. puro legend dream match? Human Tornado returning opposite Penelope Ford in a matchup that echoes his seminal PWG work opposite Candice LeRae? Ethan Page getting a chance to wrestle D’Lo, with his soul on the line?
Of course not, the one to note here is Nick Gage, ultraviolent god, defending his GCW World Championship against... former WCW World Heavyweight Champion David Arquette.
2018 pro wrestling. What a world!
Tickets are sold out, but you can catch this bad boy live on FITE, folks, and best of all, a portion of iPPV sales will go to benefit victims of the Thousand Oaks shooting.
MTW A New Beginning (Nov. 16, 7:30PM Eastern)
- Jaden Newman vs. Mr. Brickster
- Black Widow vs. Ravana Xin vs. Sheena Layne
- Jinx vs. Nina Monet
- Dani Jordyn vs. Valentina Loca
- Aja Perera vs. Rahne Victoria
- Savanna Stone vs. Tootie Lynn
- Samantha Heights vs. Zoey Skye
After the success of the Making Towns Classic back in May, there was no choice but to turn it into an ongoing promotion, and this Friday in Chattanooga, Tennessee we’ve got the debut! It’s a who’s who of up-and-coming women’s wrestling talents, plus a bonus men’s grudge match, and best of all? The show benefits the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (Chattanooga)!
Tickets are available at the door, or you can catch the whole thing eventually at Powerbomb.tv, folks.
SCI Trios (Nov. 17, 7:30PM Eastern)
- Aiden Wright & Jared Newman vs. Coach Murray & Ray Fury
- Team Action (Cam Carter, Fred Yehi, & Slim J) vs. Team Futures (Alan Angels, David Ali, & Ike Cross) (Scenic City Trios First Round Match)
- Team Iron Elbows (Brett Ison, Curt Stallion, & O’Shay Edwards) vs. Team WWA4 (Ashton Starr, James Bandy, & Lee Johnson) (Scenic City Trios First Round Match)
- Carnies (Kerry Awful, Nick Iggy, & Tripp Cassidy) vs. Team NOVA Pro (Isaiah Frazier, Logan Easton LaRoux, & Wheeler YUTA) (Scenic City Trios First Round Match)
- Team SUP (AJ Gray, Kevin Ku, & Marko Stunt) vs. Team TAG (Billy Buck, Chris Spectra, & Kevin Blue) (Scenic City Trios First Round Match)
- AC Mack vs. Gary Jay
- Scenic City Trios Semifinals & Finals
SCI is back in Hixson, Tennessee for the third leg of their annual platform, and fittingly the third leg is trios! Trios representing some of the finest promotions in the south face off against promotion-agnostic trios in four first-round matches, plus AC Mack, by right of winning the Scenic City Scramble, has demanded a special attraction match against Gary Jay!
wXw Broken Rules XVIII (Nov. 17, 7PM CET)
- NSW Championship #1 Contende’s Battle Royal
- Audrey Bride vs. Killer Kelly vs. Kris Wolf
- Avalanche & ??? vs. the Crown (Alexander James & Jurn Simmons)
- Timothy Thatcher vs. WALTER
- Arrows of Hungary (Dover & Icarus) vs. Coast 2 Coast (Leon St. Giovanni & Shaheem Ali) vs. Jay-FK (Francis Kaspin & Jay Skillet) (c) (wXw World Tag Team Championship)
- Melanie Gray (c) vs. Toni Storm (wXw Women’s Championship)
- Ilja Dragunov (c) vs. Pierre Carl Ouellet (wXw Interim Unified World Wrestling Championship)
- Absolute Andy (c) vs. Bobby Gunns (wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship)
wXw are back in Dresden, Germany, and the rules may be broken, but we’re heading straight to unification! The winners of our two Unified World Wrestling Championship matches here will be meeting in Hamburg to determine the true, undisputed champion, and, I mean... Dragunov vs. PCO? Get outta here, that’s gonna rule! Plus another round of Thatcher/WALTER and Toni Storm looking to regain the crown she never lost and wXw are really bringing it this month.
Free matches here!
Dream Team (Austin Theory & Christian Casanova) vs. Myron Reed & Trey Miguel vs. WorkHorsemen (Anthony Henry & JD Drake)
I couldn’t pass up this tag team action from the fine folks at Limitless Wrestling up in Maine, folks! Featuring my dudes the WorkHorsemen arrayed against Limitless’ version of the Dream Team and the pyrotechnic combination of Reed & Miguel, check it out!
CWF Mid-Atlantic Worldwide #174: The 18th Annual CWF Rumble
It’s been a while since we checked in with CWF Mid-Atlantic, and everybody loves a staggered entry Rumble-style battle royal, right? Perfect time to take a look, and what do you know, it’s the entire show! Enjoy!
MLW Fusion Episode 30
And last but not least, it hasn’t been that long since our last episode of MLW Fusion here in the freebies, but c’mon, like I was gonna skip the one where Low-Ki damn near ripped Daga’s ear off? Don’t miss it!
MLW Fightland (Nov. 8)
- Ricky Martinez over Dr. Rex Bacchus
- Puma King over Maxwell Jacob Friedman (Flag Match)
- Marko Stunt over Gringo Loco
- Simon Gotch over Ariel Dominguez ($10,000 Challenge)
- Myron Reed over Ace Austin
- Size Matters (Hornswoggle & Joey Ryan) over Dirty Blondes (Leo Brien & Michael Patrick)
- Kotto Brazil over Trey Miguel
- Tommy Dreamer over Brian Pillman, Jr.
- Ace Romero over Marko Stunt
- Tom Lawlor over Sami Callihan (Chicago Street Fight)
- Teddy Hart over Jason Cade
- Rush over Sammy Guevara
- Pierre Carl Ouellet over Brody King (No Disqualification Match)
- Low-Ki (c) over Shane Strickland to retain the MLW World Heavyweight Championship
- Lucha Brothers (Penta el Zero M & Rey Fenix) (c) over Hijo de LA Park & LA Park to retain the MLW World Tag Team Championship
Another eventful TV taping from the folks over at MLW. Puma King defended Mexico’s honor, a one-armed Joey Ryan squeaked out a tag team victory, the New Hart Foundation continued to establish their heel bonafides with a beatdown on Dreamer and a cheap shot to take Cade out, and it turns out the Lucha Brothers aren’t going anywhere just yet, seeing as they retained the tag titles over Park & Park. (Not that one.)
Check it out when it airs as episodes of MLW Fusion, whether on BeIN Sports or MLW’s own YouTube channel.
RPW Uprising 2018 (Nov. 9)
- Taichi over Chris Brookes
- Great O-Kharn over Shane Taylor
- Josh Bodom over Chris Ridgeway
- El Phantasmo over El Desperado
- Satoshi Kojima over WALTER
- MK McKinnan over “Speedball” Mike Bailey
- Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre, Jr.) (c) over Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) to retain the RPW British Tag Team Championship
- Tomohiro Ishii (c) over David Starr to retain the RPW British Heavyweight Championship
Once again, David Starr claims to have been screwed over by RevPro management, in this case, improper officiating from referee Chris Roberts that lead to his loss against Ishii in the main event here. I haven’t seen the tape yet, so I can’t say for sure what kind of case he has, but given that it was a good day for New Japan talent overall, either the conspiracy goes to the core of RevPro or Ishii’s just that damn good. And when I put it that way, well...
Check the VOD out on RPW On Demand, folks.
Evolve 115 / 116 (Nov. 9-10)
—Evolve 115 (Nov. 9)—
- Barrett Brown over BSHP KNG
- Mike Fierro over Juntai
- Harlem Bravado over Adrian Alanis, Jason Kincaid, and Leon Ruff
- Austin Theory over AR Fox
- Mustafa Ali over DJ Z
- Josh Briggs over Cody Vance
- Allysin Kay (c) over Shotzi Blackheart to retain the Shine Championship
- Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) (c) over WorkHorsemen (Anthony Henry & JD Drake) to retain the Evolve Tag Team Championship
- Fabian Aichner (c) over Kassius Ohno to retain the Evolve World Championship
- AR Fox over Austin Theory to retain ownership of WWA4 and leadership of the Skulk and force Theory to give him his respect (Unsanctioned Match)
—Evolve 116 (Nov. 10)—
- Jake Lander over Joey O’Riley to become #1 contender tothe Zero1 USA World Junior Heavyweight Championship
- Adrian Alanis over Barrett Brown
- Josh Briggs over Jason Kincaid
- Isaias Velazquez (c) over GPA to retain the Freelance World Championship
- Fabian Aichner over Anthony Henry by disqualification
- JD Drake (c) over Austin Theory and Harlem Bravado to retain the WWN Championship
- Matt Knicks over BSHP KNG, Cyrus Satin, and Mike Fierro
- Kassius Ohno over Shane Strickland
- Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) (c) over AR Fox & Leon Ruff to retain the Evolve Tag Team Championship
- Mustafa Ali over Darby Allin
As always with Evolve this’ll be short and sweet and I’ll point you at my recaps (115, 116) for full details, but suffice it to say the big takeaway from this weekend is that, even with NXT talent onboard, Evolve is still Evolve, and these were great shows.
Check the VOD out on WWNLive, either as an individual purchase or at no additional cost with your Club WWN subscription.
Chikara Don’t Go to Sleep! (Nov. 10)
- Callux the Castigator over Fire Ant
- Cajun Crawdad & Hermit Crab over Blanche Babish & Jeremy Leary, Nouveau Aesthetic (BLANK & Still Life With Apricots and Pears), and the Colony (Green II & Thief Ants) (Elimination Match)
- Hype Rockwell over Proletariat Boar of Moldova
- Lucas Calhoun over Missile Assault Man by disqualification
- Cornelius Crummels, Hallowicked, Sonny Defarge, & Travis Huckabee over Boomer Hatfield, Solo Darling, & Xyberhawx2000 (Danjerhawk & Razerhawk)
- Ophidian over Rory Gulak
- Dasher Hatfield (c) over the Whisper to retain the Chikara Interim Grand Championship
Dasher Hatfield retained the Grand Championship over the Whisper, so the dream of a double champion ends for this season, but the standings continue to fluctuate, folks. Currently Rockwell, Calhoun, and Ophidian are all on two points and just one critical win away from challenging the Old-Timey King of Swing! In the tag division, Crawdad & Hermit come away from the eliminator on just one point, and outside the standings, Huckabee won the atomicos by stoppage with his former tag partner Darling passed out in her own submission!
Progress Chapter 78: 24 Hour Progress People (Nov. 11)
- Eddie Dennis over “Speedball” Mike Bailey
- Isla Dawn over Lana Austin
- Jordan Devlin over Chris Ridgeway
- David Starr vs. Ilja Dragunov went to a double disqualification draw
- Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) (c) over Chris Brookes & Timothy Thatcher to retain the Progress World Tag Team Championship
- Trent Seven (c) over Zack Gibson to retain the Progress Atlas Division Championship
- WALTER (c) over Mark Haskins to retain the Progress World Championship
That’s all it took for Trent Seven to beat Zack Gibson, finally exorcising his own six second defeat at the hands of Matt Riddle in the 2017 Super Strong Style 16! Plus, Travis Banks returned from injury and you have him to thank for Starr/Dragunov going to a double DQ!
Check the VOD out when it hits Demand Progress, folks.
Remember folks, no matter what type of wrestling you like, no matter how down you feel about the state of WWE, Impact, ROH, or any other “big-time” pro wrestling, there’s something out there for you. There’s a pro wrestling product that can hit you in the right spot and make you love wrestling like you thought you’d never be able to love it again. It’s there, I promise. You just gotta reach out and find it, and that, my friends, is what the Sermon on the Mat is all about.