Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we look at the rumors from six months ago and see which played out as originally predicted. First let’s knock some outstanding rumors out.
- Word has it that Roman Reigns vs. John Cena was in the cards before Seth Rollins got hurt. It’s possible it’s still in the cards, maybe as a WrestleMania match.
- Well they finally got to it. It wasn’t the Mania program (though that was already graded the first time around) but it’s coming our way in September! There was no way they weren’t going to do it eventually. (1/1)
- Kurt Angle may end up back in TNA after his contract is over, even if it is a year later.
- It’s over a year and a half later and he didn’t go back. He’s in WWE now. (0/1)
- Apparently Vince McMahon has pushed Brock Lesnar to work with Braun Strowman at one point.
- Also finally happening! I bet people are more pumped for it now than they were when this rumor first hit. (1/1)
- The goal of the Global Cruiserweight Series WWE is holding this summer is to make it a yearly big money event.
- That did not happen. It’s the Mae Young this summer. I wonder if it’s something they come back to. (0/1)
OK, now onto this week’s rumors.
- According to PW Insider, Seth Rollins is actually in Green Bay for Raw tonight, so while WWE promoted simply an interview, he could very well be appearing in front of the live crowd on TV.
- He was in the arena and had a segment with Triple H setting up their match. (1/1)
- Finn Bâlor could return on television before his scheduled house show dates in early March.
- He didn’t return to TV until after Mania in April. (0/1)
- Charles Robinson had foot surgery recently but he'll apparently be ready to referee at WrestleMania 33.
- He refereed at Mania. (1/1)
- TNA not working fast enough to get Drew Galloway signed to a new deal led to his deciding to leave the company, per PW Insider. Matt and Jeff Hardy could be following suit soon enough.
- This is true on both accounts. On Talk is Jericho recently, Drew said they waited too long getting stuff in order (he was understanding) which had a factor for him not returning. Matt and Jeff did follow. (2/2)
- Even with less than 24 hours before his #1 contender match against AJ Styles on SmackDown, WWE officials are still undecided on whether or not they’ll add Luke Harper to a planned WrestleMania World title match between Bray Wyatt & Randy Orton.
- It wasn’t a good sign that they weren’t sold on Harper this far into the story. He wasn’t in the match. But weird projections of bugs were!
- Putting Styles in that match is not on the table, however. Win, lose or schmoz tonight, he’s still scheduled to face Shane McMahon at Mania.
- Accurate. (1/1)
- Kelly Kelly will be handling induction honors for Beth Phoenix at WWE’s Hall of Fame ceremony.
- That honor went to Natalya. (0/1)
- One of the reasons Drew Galloway left Impact was because the company was too late in offering him a new contract, per Pro Wrestling Sheet.
- This is the same rumor as above, though from a different source. It is accurate. (1/1)
- As of now, WWE has yet to decide what match will go on last at WrestleMania 33.
- The rumor was Goldberg/Lesnar for awhile, so this indicates a change of thinking maybe? Perhaps they learned Undertaker was hanging it up.
- Kurt Angle is returning to WWE television on the episode of Monday Night Raw the night after WrestleMania 33 in Orlando, according to PW Insider.
- That’s when he was announced as GM. (1/1)
- There's apparently some word of Finn Bálor returning on Raw next week. Dave Meltzer remarked he is now due back any day now.
- It was another month. (0/1)
- Matt Hardy is planning on continuing to use the "Broken" name and character he created in TNA, no matter where he ends up.
- Yeah, that hasn’t happened. But there’s plenty of stories about his issues with Anthem. Sean Rueter loves this drama. (0/1)
- According to PW Insider, TNA wants to start going after newer, younger talents.
- Hmmm... not really. Because while they brought in teams like Reno Scum and more recently the Crist brothers, their main signings were older. We’re talking Alberto El Patron, Low-Ki, Sonjay Dutt, and briefly even Magnus and Matt Morgan. Hell John Morrison, a signing that I’m really into, is 37. (0/1)
- Look for Luke Harper to re-align himself with Bray Wyatt now that Randy Orton's treachery has been revealed, and Vince McMahon's decided not to elevate his position on the card.
- He’s aligned himself with catering instead. (0/1)
- In addition to the April 3rd Raw, Kurt Angle will also be on the SmackDown after WrestleMania and is expected to get “significant TV opportunities”, according to Jim Ross.
- No, he’s just on Raw. (0/1)
- Expect a mix of old and new faces at tonight's Impact taping. Two names to expect are Karen Jarrett, who will be returning to TV as a regular character, and Bruce Prichard, who’ll be working backstage and on-camera.
- Karen and Bruce were both regulars on TV. (2/2)
- One name not to expect is Alberto Del Rio. He had been scheduled for this week’s taping under John Gaburick, but he doesn't fit/is too expensive for the new Dutch Martell/Jeff Jarrett regime.
- Oh he was there. Won the title. Has since been suspended and stripped of the title. (0/1)
- WWE has agreements in place to put UK indies on the Network, but a combination of factors - including Vince changing his mind - is keeping them in limbo for now.
- I have a feeling Vince changing his mind keeps a lot of things in limbo.
This week: 9/17 - 53%
February 2017: 48/82 – 59%
Overall: 1,696/3,116 - 54.4%
Have a great week, everyone!