We publish a whole lot of content here at Cageside Seats. We’re also [looks around and whispers so the bosses can’t hear] not the only place producing wrestling content on the internet. So, as a service to you on the weekdays, we’ll be producing a wrestling newsletter, "Rude Awakening." Well, it will be a newsletter eventually: for now, it’ll just be part of your experience here at Cageside, collecting the news, recaps, and social moments from the greater wrestling universe daily so you won’t fall behind, with a newsletter format to come.
* * *
Paige and Alberto El Patron have had a pretty public relationship, with their dating being a subject on Total Divas, Paige proposing to Alberto on video, and the pair sharing space in Periscope videos where El Patron ran down WWE, the company Paige still works for. If the two are now breaking up, as Wrestling Inc. and SESCoops are reporting, then hopefully the split is a tad less public and involves less Periscoping.
That last sentence starts with “If” for a reason, and that’s because PW Insider says sources have told them that it is untrue that the couple has broken things off. Why are you seeing this discussed here in this space, anyway? Well, the status of Paige’s dating life might be intertwined with her WWE career.
Those Periscope videos sure seemed like a ploy to infuriate WWE so that Paige would be released from her contract and be in a position to join her fiance on Impact Wrestling. WWE had no plans of taking that bait, as it was rumored that the movie about Paige’s family and the promotion they can have Paige do for it means too much to them to simply let her go because of some poorly thought out social media videos about Triple H’s nose. That doesn’t mean the videos didn’t work, though, considering the rumor that WWE would have absolutely cut Paige loose if not for that biopic.
If Paige and Alberto aren’t together, there’s one less reason for her to want out from WWE (and for the feeling to be mutual). And if the frustration over her injuries — again, seen on Total Divas and also easily discerned given injuries are inherently frustrating — has dropped from a boil to a simmer as she rehabs from neck surgery and a return to the ring comes ever closer, maybe we’ll finally get the Paige WWE has been missing from its women’s divisions since she first got hurt.
Or, the two are still together, Paige maybe still wants out at the first opportunity, and we’ve got more Periscope videos on the way where we can wonder what the pair are thinking. Aren’t rumors fun?
- Remember that WrestleMania 34 main event rumor that popped up like, immediately after WrestleMania 33? Things might have changed, but you can’t see that unless you read Monday’s Rumor Roundup.
- Here’s a look at reverse momentum theory for pay-per-view wins in WWE.
- John Cena posted a tweet clarifying (sort of?) the whole WWE free agent thing.
- With the release of GLOW on Netflix, now is a good time to let you know that WWE’s problems with women wrestlers won’t be fixed by a show dedicated to them.
- However, as Kyle Decker’s weekly guide to wrestling viewing points out, this is nonetheless a big week for WWE’s women.
- As for GLOW, David Bixenspan writes at Paste that the show respects both its characters and pro wrestling.
- And at ESPN, GLOW is described as Netflix’s “next big hit.”
- Here is a photo of one (or is it two?!) cast member for season 7 of Total Divas.
- We’ve got a recap and review of Evolve 87, where Keith Lee (literally) fell short.
- We introduced a new column last week, Social Slam, meant to catch you up on the many social media happenings of wrestlers. Here’s Sunday’s edition.
- Seth Rollins might belong to the RAW roster, but he wrestled at a SmackDown house show this weekend.
- Speaking of SmackDown house shows, Rusev is back!
- Here’s what we know about the Great Balls of Fire card, and also what we think we might know.
- Everyone congratulated Cody Rhodes on winning the Ring of Honor title on Friday, and Daniel Bryan even teased eventually wrestling Cody once his WWE contract is up.
- It’s the Best and Worst of the 100th episode of Nitro, which is really only the 99th episode of Nitro, but like with Hulk Hogan vs. Sting, WCW has trouble counting.
- If you want some NXT spoilers, two more names were announced for the Mae Young Classic at last week’s taping.