We publish a whole lot of content here at Cageside Seats. We’re also [looks around and whispers so the bosses can’t hear] not the only place producing wrestling content on the internet. So, as a service to you on the weekdays, we’ll be producing a wrestling newsletter, "Rude Awakening." Well, it will be a newsletter eventually: for now, it’ll just be part of your experience here at Cageside, collecting the news, recaps, and social moments from the greater wrestling universe daily so you won’t fall behind, with a newsletter format to come.
* * *
Alberto El Patron has published a couple of videos now where he lashes out at WWE, and more specifically, at Triple H. Paige, who happens to still work for WWE but has been out recovering from neck surgery, also happens to be on these Periscope videos with him. As Sean Rueter pointed out while covering the last of these videos, Paige acts awkward about Alberto’s anti-WWE stance on camera, but is also sharing these videos on Twitter, so it’s unclear how bothered by her fiance’s antics she is.
Given all that, it’s difficult to know if Paige and Alberto are using these videos as a means to make it easier for WWE to release her so she would be free to work elsewhere — like, say, Impact Wrestling, where El Patron currently performs — or if this really is just Alberto saying dumb stuff into a social media app and Paige legitimately being embarrassed and not knowing how to stop these videos and their anti-WWE content from being made by her future husband. There is no explicit attempt by Paige to be released — as said, she’s on much better behavior than Alberto on these videos — but sharing them despite their content does make you wonder what’s going on.
What we do know is that there’s no feud in the works: this isn’t just the former Del Rio acting out kayfabe in order to get back to WWE a third time and eventually end up wrestling Triple H or anything like that. So, this is either one dude jeopardizing his fiance’s job by having her appear with him on camera, or a scheme with the intent of putting her job in jeopardy. Given WWE’s stance of basically ignoring Impact and the fact that WWE Studios is in the middle of filming a story based on the life of Paige and her family, they’re probably going to need to do better than saying Triple H has a big nose and having Paige retweet that if it’s the latter.
- It’s the first week of post-Superstar Shakeup programming in WWE and we’re past the post-Mania shows, too, meaning it’s the first real, normal week of wrestling we’ve had in some time.
- Monday’s Rumor Roundup has injury updates, of the real and fake variety, for a couple of RAW’s biggest stars.
- Matt Hardy doesn’t know who he is anymore, and we are here for this identity crisis.
- Kane is running to become mayor of Knox County, so he sent out a Happy Easter photo and for some reason the Undertaker isn’t in it.
- Here’s AJ Lee talking about that one time Big E’s triceps meat slammed her in the chest.
- YouTube is currently trying to figure out what content is advertiser friendly and what isn’t, and sadly, wrestling is considered advertiser unfriendly as of right now. This will have some major consequences, and we’ll have more on that story later.
- Booker T is teasing being part of RAW’s announce team for more than just the six weeks he’s meant to be covering for David Otunga.
- The Revival delivered basically the best farewell speech a couple of heels can deliver.
- Also from this weekend’s NXT shows comes this glorious Stunner to Bobby Roode, who sold it at just the right level of cartoonish.
- According to one Cagesider, Sasha Banks has to stay a babyface following the Superstar Shakeup, if only to make RAW’s roster work.
- Alexa Bliss hopes that women will main event WrestleMania “within a year,” which is ambitious but also there’s no good reason WWE couldn’t make it happen. They have a year to build that feud!
- The retro Best and Worst of Nitro for this week is full of cigars and Dennis Rodman.
- In ESPN’s latest explanation of the rules of getting over, they’re tackling losing on the way out.