Welcome back to the Sermon on the Mat, your weekly one-stop shop for news from the wider world of wrestling beyond the big cable TV monoliths that get all the coverage.
CMLL Super Viernes (December 22, 9:30PM Eastern)
- Fiero & Oro, Jr. vs. Raziel & Templario
- Drone, Guerrero Maya, Jr., & Rey Cometa vs. Puma, Tiger, & Virus
- Angel de Oro, Mistico, & Niebla Roja vs. Cuatrero & La Peste Negra (Barbaro Cavernario & Negro Casas)
- El Terrible vs. Euforia vs. Forastero vs. Gran Guerrero vs. Hechicero vs. Kraneo vs. Mascara Ano 2000 vs. Misterioso, Jr. vs. Mr. Niebla vs. Pierroth vs. Rey Bucanero vs. Rush vs. Sanson vs. Shocker vs. Ultimo Guerrero vs. Vangellys (Torneo de la Leyenda Azul 2017)
- Caristico vs. Volador, Jr.
CMLL are back for your regular Friday night dose of lucha libre action from Arena Mexico and by god it's torneo time again! This time the Leyenda Azul in honor of Blue Demon featuring a field that's a reasonable cross-section of the roster from good (Euforia, Rush) to bad (Mascara 2000, Pierroth), but hey, hopefully the tournament format, whatever it is, paves that out. Plus, Caristico vs. Volador in the main should prettymuch rule, so it's worth checking this one out, hopefully.
Check it out, as always, free for nothin' on ClaroSports or CMLL's Facebook page, folks.
Anarchy Wrestling Christmas Chaos (December 23, 8PM Eastern)
- Aja Perera vs. Harlow O'Hara (Making Towns Classic Qualifying Match)
- Brad Cash vs. Jacob Ashworth
- AR Fox vs. Gladiator Jeremiah
- Hate Junkies vs. Team Tag (c) (Anarchy Tag Team Championship)
- AJ Gray vs. Kyle Matthews (c) vs. "Wild" Billy Buck (Anarchy Heritage Championship No Time Limit Match)
- Gunner Miller (c) vs. Matt Riddle (Anarchy Triple Crown Championship)
Anarchy Wrestling are back in the Landmark Arena in Cornelia, Georgia, and do note this is actually a double shot with a show on the 22nd as well. Since that show is being hosted by NCW I'm electing to focus on this one alone, but make no mistake, with Austin Theory vs. Matt Riddle as the main event, if you're in the area, surely it's worth your interest as well.
Anyway, onto this one, if you've seen this year's Scenic City Invitational you'll know why I'm featuring this one right here. Miller/Riddle II! Their first match was, bar none, one of the finest sub-ten minute matches of the year (and finest matches of the year in general, but fine sprints always deserve extra praise), and now they do it again. Plus AR Fox vs. the man formerly known as Slim J, a Heritage title three-way, a Making Towns Classic Qualifier, and a match where if Brad Cash wins, he earns his spot on the roster back.
To get your tickets, call (706)968-5580, or you can catch this bad boy when it hits Powerbomb.tv sooner or later.
wXw 17th Anniversary (December 23, 5PM CET)
- Jay-FK (Francis Kaspin & Jay Skillet) vs. Monster Consulting (Avalanche & Julian Nero)
- Marius Al-Ani vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.
- David Starr vs. Jurn Simmons
- Melanie Gray vs. Session Moth Martina (wXw Women's Championship Tournament Final)
- Bobby Gunns vs. Ivan Kiev (c) (wXw Shotgun Championship)
- Ringkampf (Timothy Thatcher & WALTER) (c) vs. Young Lions (Lucky Kid & Tarkan Aslan) (wXw World Tag Team Championship)
- Ilja Dragunov vs. John "Bad Bones" Klinger (c) (wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship)
wXw are back in Oberhausen, Germany to close their year out with a bang, folks, and a bang they shall have. Marius Al-Ani tests his might against the Technical Wizard, Massive Product explode, they crown their first women's champion, Ringkampf defend their titles against the champions they won them from without even having to wrestle them by virtue of the way World Tag Team League Works, but the main event, as ever, is where the money is.
Ilja Dragunov. They call him "Unbesiegbar"-- unbeatable, because that's what he is. He has taken every challenge thrown at him over the last year plus and surmounted each in turn.
John "Bad Bones" Klinger. A man that has been synonymous with wXw for years has found new life with RISE at his side and has held onto the title with a deathgrip since defeating Jurn Simmons for it.
The last time they met in a one-on-one contest for the title, Klinger handed Dragunov the only L in his ledger, granted a disqualification, but it stung all the same. But just last month in Erfurt in non-title action, Dragunov proved he has what it takes-- in a fair fight, he'll put Bad Bones away once and for all.
Get your tickets here or check it out when it hits wXwNOW!, folks.
CMLL Sin Salida (December 25, 6PM Eastern)
- Fantasy & Shockercito vs. Pequeno Nitro & Pierrothito
- Dalys, Tiffany, & Zeuxis vs. La Jarochita, Marcela, & Princesa Sugehit
- Angel de Oro, Blue Panther, Jr., & Niebla Roja vs. El Terrible, Hechicero, & Rey Bucanero
- Kraneo, Pierroth, & Sam Adonis vs. La Peste Negra (El Felino, Mr. Niebla, & Negro Casas)
- Cancerbero vs. Fiero vs. Hijo del Signo vs. Nitro vs. Oro, Jr. vs. Pegasso vs. Raziel vs. Star, Jr. vs. Starman vs. Templario (Steel Cage Mask Match)
Lucha libre on Christmas?! You're darn right lucha libre on Christmas! CMLL's annual show built around a cagematch of up-and-coming masked men where the loser has to show his face falls on Christmas day this year. The card itself is pretty average and honestly CMLL haven't even announced what exactly their plans for streaming are yet, but I figured I couldn't leave it out.
Keep an eye on CMLL's YouTube channel as that seems the most likely avenue for this to stream, folks.
Free matches here!
Chuck Taylor vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.
You may recall reading my man Henry T. Casey's article about it, and now you can watch it-- Chuck Taylor and Zack Sabre, Jr., falls count anywhere in a bar with no ring! Don't miss it! (And be sure to check the account where you can also see the Casanova Valentine vs. Matt Tremont deathmatch from the show as well.)
Cody Rhodes vs. Pete Dunne
From the fine folks over at Southside Wrestling Entertainment we have a match from over a year ago that if it happened today would essentially amount to an interpromotional dream match. (And only a week ago would have been champion vs. champion!) It's American Nightmare vs. Bruiserweight, check it out!
Jordynne Grace vs. Tessa Blanchard
And rounding out this week's free matches, from the good people over at Women's Wrestling Revolution we've got two of the most excellent young women out there today going toe-to-toe. Grace vs. Blanchard, enjoy!
AIW The Wet Bandits (December 15)
- "Big" Twan Tucker over Big Moe
- The Production (Colby Redd, Derek Director, Frankie Flynn, & Magnum CK) over Philly-Marino Experience (Marino Tenaglia & Philly Collins) & Weird World (Alex "Worldwide" Kellar & Evan "Weird Body" Adams)
- AJ Gray over Dr. Daniel C. Rockingham
- The Duke over Calvin Tankman, Joshua Singh (c), and Kurt Hurtz to win the AIW Hoss Championship Golden Boot
- Kikutaro over Jock Samson
- Brian Carson over Eddy Only
- Tre Lamar over Malcolm Monroe III
- Colin Delaney over Parker Pierce
- Joshua Bishop over Curt Stallion
- Dominic Garrini over Mance Warner (UFC 1 Rules Match)
That stipulation was perhaps a late addition to that main event but it was a good one, the Mancer was only happy to scrap with Dom in the no-holds-barred wasteland of the early days UFC ruleset! In other news from the show, Jock Samson had to substitute for an absent Tracy Smothers, and Chase Oliver returned from injury to turn on Malcolm Monroe III.
Check it out when it hits Smart Mark Video, folks.
PCW UK PowerBombShells / Festive Fury (December 16)
- Rhio over Sierra Loxton
- Jennie B. over Jokey and Molly Spartan
- Lady Kathrine Darcy over Jayde
- Jayla Dark over Sadie Gibbs
- Martina over Nadia Sapphire
- Kasey Owens over Jennie B.
- Nightshade over Lauren (Falls Count Anywhere Match)
- Philip Michael over Arcadian, Dave Birch, Jack Baron, and Martin Kirby
- Roy Knight over Joey Coffey
- Big T. Justice & Tel Banham over 3 Mates Pissing About (Danny Hope & Joey Hayes)
- Rhio over Nightshade to win the vacant PCW UK Women's Championship
- Dean Allmark (c) over Chris Ridgeway to retain the PCW UK Cruiserweight Championship (No Rope Breaks Submission Match)
- Martina over Nadia Sapphire (Lumbersack Match)
- Sheikh el Sham over Ricky Knight, Jr.
- T-Bone (c) over Bubblegum to retain the PCW UK Heavyweight Championship
PCW hit Powerbomb.tv up with a mighty festive doubleshot over the weekend.The highlights were Lauren and Nightshade fighting all over Evoque, Martina's wonderfully baffling Christmas brawl that ended in a Tombstone piledriver to An Actual Tree (the lumberjacks had sacks, if you need the stipulation explained), and Allmark and Ridgeway's technical wrestling war over the cruiserweight title. In a less festive sense, however, it was a night of title vacations, as both the women's and tag titles were vacated due to lack of defenses. As well, having lost here, Bubblegum officially can no longer challenge for the PCW title as long as T-Bone holds it.
Check the VOD out at Powerbomb.tv, folks.
Shine 47: Survival (December 16)
- Rain wins the 20-Woman Survival Rumble to become #1 contender to the Shine Championship
- Natalia Markova over Aerial Monroe
- Dynamite DiDi over Kikyo, Robyn Reid, and Tesha Price
- Leva Bates over Dementia D'Rose by disqualification
- Priscilla Kelly over Aja Perera to retain the Shine Nova Championship
- Shotzi Blackheart over Kiera Hogan
- Jessicka Havok over Brandi Lauren
- Las Sicarias (Ivelisse & Mercedes Martinez) (c) over Cutie Pie Club (Aria Blake & Candy Cartwright) to retain the Shine Tag Team Championship
- Stormie Lee over Rain
Rain is back... and she's coming for the title she was the first woman to hold! But the ring rust is apparent, as Stormie Lee was able to take her out in the main event with a knock to the head that lead to the referee calling the match off. Elsewhere on the card, all is not well in the Cutie Pie Club, as Candy Cartwright sacrificed Aria Blake to save her own skin in the tag title match.
Check it out on WWNLive.com, folks-- and in just about another week and a half, it'll hit the archive on the brand-new Club WWN service.
Remember folks, no matter what type of wrestling you like, no matter how down you feel about the state of WWE, Impact, ROH, or any other "big-time" pro wrestling, there's something out there for you. There's a pro wrestling product that can hit you in the right spot and make you love wrestling like you thought you'd never be able to love it again. It's there, I promise. You just gotta reach out and find it, and that, my friends, is what the Sermon on the Mat is all about.