Welcome back to the Sermon on the Mat, your weekly one-stop shop for news from the wider world of wrestling beyond the big cable TV monoliths that get all the coverage.
CMLL Super Viernes (October 27, 9:30PM Eastern)
- Metalico & Nitro vs. Starman & Stigma
- Amapola, Dalys, & Reyna Isis vs. Jarochita, Marcela, & Vaquerita
- Cuatrero, Forastero, & Sanson vs. Esfinge, Guerrero Maya, Jr., & the Panther
- Mephisto vs. Soberano, Jr. (Lightning Match)
- Diamante Azul, Marco Corleone, & Niebla Roja vs. El Terrible, Rey Bucanero, & Vangellys
- El Valiente, Mistico, & Volador, Jr. vs. Los Guerreros Laguneros (Euforia, Gran Guerrero, & Ultimo Guerrero)
CMLL are back with your usual dose of Friday night lucha libre action and now that the dust has settled on Leyenda de Plata it's... kind of a quiet week, actually. Soberano in singles action is always good, and the main event should deliver in spades for sure, though, so it's definitely worth checking out.
NOVA Pro Pumpkin Spice Lariats (October 27, 7:30PM Eastern)
- Bobby Shields vs. Tripp Cassidy
- Ken Dixon vs. Sage Phillips
- Logan Easton LaRoux (c) has an open challenge for the PWI Ultra J Championship
- Gunner Miller (c) vs. Tim Donst (Anarchy Triple Crown Championship)
- Angelus Layne & Dominic Garrini vs. Brittany Blake & John Kermon
- Arik Royal & Chet Sterling vs. Ugly Ducklings (Lance Lude & Rob Killjoy)
- Fred Yehi vs. Jordynne Grace
- DJ Z vs. Sonjay Dutt
NOVA Pro are back in Annandale, Virginia, and as always I'll pass things off to our man on the scene, Duke (follow him on Twitter!) to give you the low down on what's going down.
Lest you think Miller/Donst is a foregone conclusion given that Gunner wants to defend the title three times this weekend, the people at Anarchy and SUPro have been informed that should Donst pull off the upset and leave champion, he will inherit the title defenses Miller already had. Whether the Mat Wrestling Machine / Scumbag for Hire / 2 Second Man / Safety First / He Is Wrestling can get the job done or not, it’s no question whose side the NOVA Pro crowd will be on.
After Jordynne Grace’s win at NOVA Project 3, she was allowed to pick any match she wanted. She chose Fred Yehi — a surprising pick to many. But, on a seemingly unrelated note, Yehi is facing Jonathan Gresham on the NOVA Pro Black Friday show, and the connection there remains unsaid. In other women’s news, after Brittany Blake interrupted Angelus Layne’s match with Mia Yim (via musical distraction in a bit stolen from every RAW ever), the two will face off in a mixed tag. Each woman has had experience teaming with their male partner, both of whom the ladies handpicked.
The Carnies and the Trifecta of the 1% had a trios match in August stemming from Bobby Shields trying to order around Tripp Cassidy in a handicap match. Now, the two men who started the fight square off in singles action. Meanwhile, Sage Phillips says he’s come a long way since his NOVA Pro debut 14 months ago and is, in fact, on a winning streak. He wants a rematch against his first ever opponent, Ken Dixon — but Dixon brings a warning that he’s gotten better too, so don’t expect a walk in the park.
Last month, Arik Royal beat Logan Easton LaRoux in the main event in a match many (myself included) are calling the best in company history. Both men are back in action, but have chosen different matches. Royal is doing a runback of his August match, where he and Sterling faced the Ugly Ducklings in a show-stealer. LaRoux, meanwhile, will defend the PWI Ultra J title, which you may recognize from CWF Mid-Atlantic. What 215-pounder (or less) will step up to the plate?
Oh, right, the main event. Sonjay Dutt, the Godfather of the company and its ambassador, likes to use his TNA/GFW connections to bring in some of the hottest talent for a chance to beat him in his backyard. He’s faced people like Donovan Dijak, Trevor Lee, Jimmy Rave, and Curt Stallion in 2017, and now he’s nabbed another man synonymous with the term "X Division": Zema Ion, known on TV as DJ Z. It’s going to be a classic high-flying showcase sure to bring the fans to their feet. Can Dutt defend his hometown?
All this, plus Chip Day, Beau Crockett, Faye Jackson, Sugar Dunkerton, and more coming up! Come to Annandale and dress up as your favorite talent — it’s Wrestler Cosplay Night! See you there!
PCW UK Fright Night (October 27, 2PM Eastern / 7PM GMT)
- CJ Banks vs. Soner Durson
- Lauren & Veda Scott vs. Lucy Cole & Nightshade
- Jake Long & Philip Michael vs. Lionheart & Sha Samuels
- Danny Hope, Joey Hayes, Martin Kirby, & Matthew Brooks vs. Big T, Dave Birch, Sheikh el Sham, & Tel Banham (Halloween House of Horrors Match)
- Ashton Smith vs. "Speedball" Mike Bailey
- Grim Reaper vs. Grim Reaper vs. Keith Lee
- Chris Ridgeway vs. Dean Allmark
- Iestyn Rees (c) vs. ??? (PCW Heavyweight Championship)
PCW UK are back home in Preston, England and, I mean, there's a match on the card featuring Keith Lee wrestling death, do I really need to sell it harder? And not just one, no, he's got TWO reapers to tangle with! I believe in the Limitless One and all, but... best hope he has some Belmont blood in the family tree somewhere.
Plus, Iestyn Rees defends his title against an opponent hand-picked by Bubblegum, Ridgeway and Allmark have a non-title grudge match to settle their difference once and for all, and there's an eight-man House of Horrors for which the stipulations will only be revealed on the night.
Beyond Denim Recruits (October 28, 2PM Eastern)
- "Supercop" Dick Justice vs. Johnny Cockstrong
- Brandon Watts vs. Jonathan Gresham
- Maria Manic & Penelope Ford vs. Team PAWG (Jordynne Grace & LuFisto)
- Dezmond Xavier vs. Zenshi
- John Silver vs. Martin Stone
- Team Game Changer (Jimmy Lloyd, Kyle the Beast, & Matt Tremont) vs. Team Pazuzu (Angel Ortiz, Jaka, & Mike Draztik)
- Chris Dickinson vs. Darby Allin
- Da Hit Squad (Dan Maff & Monsta Mack) vs. H8 Club (Nate Hatred & Nick Gage)
- Joey Janela vs. Michael Elgin
Beyond Wrestling are coming to Howell, New Jersey on Saturday for their first of two shows this weekend with two actual honest-to-god dream matches on top there in the form of Janela/Elgin and Hit Squad vs. H8 Club. Those two are enough to raise my interest alone for sure, but you add in Dickinson/Allin in a clash of styles, Xavier/Zenshi in a battle of the flyers, and Watts/Gresham somewhere between the two poles, plus a long, hard, er.... instant classic in Justice/Cockstrong?!
GCW Worst Behavior (October 28, 7PM Eastern)
- Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter) vs. Rejects (John Wayne Murdoch & Reed "By God" Bentley)
- Eddie Kingston vs. Kyle the Beast
- Ciclope vs. Eric Ryan
- Miedo Extremo vs. Nick Gage
- Darby Allin vs. Joey Janela (Anything Goes Match)
- G-Raver vs. SHLAK (c) (DTU World Ultraviolent Championship)
- Eli Everfly vs. Smiley (c) vs. Tony Deppen vs. Zenshi (GCW Extreme Championship)
- Markus Crane vs. Matt Tremont (c) (GCW World Championship)
The evening companion to Beyond's afternoon show, GCW have a star-studded event with some of DTU's finest joining the fray. But most exciting, look at the adjective, "anything goes"... in a match between Darby Allin and Joey Janela. It's gonna be wild beyond belief!
Chikara Deep Breath / A Good Man Goes to War (October 28)
—Deep Breath (3PM Eastern)—
- Everett Connors vs. Travis Huckabee
- Merlok vs. Missile Assault Man
- Carnies (Kerry Awful & Nick Iggy) vs. Cornelius Crummels & Sonny Defarge
- Jeremy Leary vs. Space Monkey
- Kobald & Oleg the Usurper vs. Osirian Portal
- Dasher Hatfield vs. Moose
—A Good Man Goes to War (7PM Eastern)—
- "Mr. Touchdown" Mark Angelosetti vs. Proletariat Boar of Moldova
- Hallowicked vs. Solo Darling
- Icarus vs. Rory Gulak
- Cajun Crawdad & Hermit Crab vs. Xyberhawx 2000 (Razerhawk & Sylverhawk)
- Hype Rockwell vs. Race Jaxon
- Fire Ant vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado (c) (Chikara Grand Championship)
Chikara are stopping off in Chicago, Illinois for a double-header and by god they're bringing the circus to town! The Carnies make their debut against former tag champs Crummels and Defarge, but that's not all, as Moose makes an appearance to take on the Old Timey King of Swing himself, Dasher Hatfield, the Osirian Portal is back, but given that both Amasis and the original Ophidian have moved on, what exactly that means remains a mystery, N_R_G explodes as Hype Rockwell takes on Race Jaxon, and Fire Ant, with nothing left to lose, looks to claim the Grand Championship!
CWF Mid-Atlantic Explosive Elements 2017 (October 28, 7:30PM Eastern)
- Michael McAllister vs. Nick Richards
- Arik Royal vs. Chet Sterling
- Mike Mars & Otto Schwanz vs. Sandwich Squad (Aaron Biggs & Mecha Mercenary)
- Jesse Adler (c) vs. ??? (CWF Worldwide Television Championship)
CWF are back in Gibsonville, North Carolina for Explosive Elements and while the full card hasn't been released, the spirit of chance is in the air. You see, those question marks there are a mystery to everyone, because Adler's opponent will be chosen by a fan via a random draw! Plus the Ace is in action against Chet Sterling and more besides, including Trevor Lee in action.
Wrestling Revolver Tales From the Ring (October 28, 8PM Central)
- Brian Cage vs. Shigehiro Irie
- Alex Colon vs. Rickey Shane Page (CZW Sanctioned Ultraviolent Rules Match)
- Jake Crist vs. Jessicka Havok
- Besties in the World (Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett) vs. Luchasaurus & Serpentico vs. Trey Miguel & Zachary Wentz vs. World's Cutest Tag Team (Candice LeRae & Joey Ryan) vs. Zero Gravity (Brett Gakiya & CJ Esparza) (Ladder Match)
- Jeff Cobb vs. Matt Riddle
- AR Fox vs. Daga
- Jack Swagger vs. Sami Callihan
- Jason Cade vs. Ricochet
Wrestling Revolver are in Clive, Iowa and they have a hell of a show for you, folks. That five-way ladder match alone would be crazy enough for most shows, but then they went and tossed Fox/Daga and Swagger/Callihan in there to start, threw in an international dream match the likes of Fox/Daga, and, the crown jewel, Ricochet against his hand-picked opponent, up-and-comer Jason Cade in a high flyers dream match? Super indies don't get much better than this, folks.
wXw London Calling II (October 28, 7PM GMT)
- Emil Sitoci vs. Marius Al-Ani
- Chris Brookes vs. Lucky Kid
- Avalanche vs. Michael Dante
- Nina Samuels vs. Toni Storm
- Ilja Dragunov vs. Mark Haskins
- Massive Product (David Starr & Jurn Simmons) vs. Ringkampf (Timothy Thatcher & WALTER) (c) (wXw World Tag Team Championship)
- John "Bad Bones" Klinger (c) vs. Travis Banks (wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship)
wXw are back in London, England (with a little help from their friends in Progress) with another barnburner of a show lined up. Travis Banks gets a chance to add wXw's title to the Progress World Championship he already holds, Ilja Dragunov's status as unbeatable is up in the air against former champ Haskins, you get a HOSS FIGHT between the Avalanche and Dante, but the crown jewel is that tag match right there.
Originally scheduled as Ringkampf vs. #CCK until Kid Lykos got hurt, the card was shuffled for the best possible replacement, and what a replacement it is! Ringkampf and Massive Product had an incredible match to finish wXw World Tag Team League mere weeks ago, and now we get it again! It's gonna rule, folks.
Beyond Apocalypse Dudes (October 29, 2PM Eastern)
- Dante Caballero vs. Sage Phillips
- American Gaijin (Jay Freddie & Rory Gulak) vs. Amityville Project (Mike Verna & Ryan Galeone)
- "Supercop" Dick Justice vs. Orange Cassidy
- Ace Romero vs. John Silver
- Jonathan Gresham vs. KEITA in the House*
- Doom Patrol (Chris Dickinson & Jaka) vs. Viking War Party (Alexander Rudolph & Jake Parnell)
- Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter) vs. Team PAWG (Jordynne Grace & LuFisto)
- JT Dunn vs. Matt Riddle
- EYFBO (Angel Ortiz & Mike Draztik) vs. Unbreakable F'n Machines (Brian Cage & Michael Elgin)
- Martin Stone vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.
And Beyond return to Worcester, Massachusetts to complete their double shot with a show that is frankly incredible on paper. Three absolute blockbuster brutal tag team wars on the main card in the forms of Doom Patrol vs. Viking War Party, Hooligans vs. Team PAWG, and EYFBO vs. Unbreakable F'n Machines, two singles matches that could range from hard-striking wars to exhibitions of grappling excellence in Riddle/Dunn and Stone/Sabre, a supreme comedy match in Justice/Cassidy and whatever it is exactly that KEITA brings, and, well... don't miss this one, folks. Especially since the first couple matches will be a free pre-show to the main card, avaiable live on YouTube as well as on Powerbomb.tv.
Progress Chapter 56: La Danse Macabre (October 29, 2PM GMT)
- Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis) & Omari vs. Connor Mills & Never Say Die (Alex Cupid & Dillon D'Angelo)
- Strangler Davis vs. Timothy Thatcher
- British Strong Style (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) vs. Sexy Starr (David Starr & Jack Sexsmith)
- Charli Evans vs. Toni Storm (c) (Progress Women's Championship
- #CCK (Chris Brookes & Kid Lykos) (c) vs. Grizzled Young Veterans (James Drake & Zack Gibson) (Progress Tag Team Championship)
- WALTER (c) vs. Wolfgang (Progress Atlas Division Championship)
- Keith Lee vs. Travis Banks (c) (Progress World Championship)
Progress are back in London, England and it feels like it's been ages since Chase the Sun, doesn't it? Revelations of Divine Love was a nice stopgap, but at long last, proper Progress Chapter action returns! And return it does, with a hell of a lineup from a new blood trios match and a hell of a grappling showcase all the way through a complete slate (pending Lykos' injury status) of title matches including, absolute cherry on top, a second Lee/Banks match! As well, former champion Pete Dunne has asked for some promo time to address both fans and management, so we'll likely learn something about his (and British Strong Style's as a whole) future direction from that.
As always with Progress Chapter shows, tickets have long since sold out, but you can have a crack at the official ticket resale site or just wait with the rest of us schlubs for the show to go up on Demand Progress.
SUP Headwalk Among Us (October 29, 2PM Central)
- Trick or Treat Battle Royal
- Danny Adams vs. Mance Warner
- Donovan Danhausen vs. Joshua Bishop
- AJ Gray vs. Matt Kenway
- Corey Hollis vs. Dominic Garrini
- Gunner Miller (c) vs. Kevin Lee Davidson (Anarchy Triple Crown Championship)
- Curt Stallion (c) vs Paco Gonzalez (SUP Bonestorm Championship)
Southern Underground Pro are back in Nashville, Tennessee and, I mean, look, the show has a Halloween battle royal on it. Who doesn't love a Halloween battle royal on the indies? Approximations of all your favorite superstars could be in it! Nevermind that the rest of the card is full of quality matchups between the sort of talent that will be filling out super indie cards in a year or two (including holy hell that SCI rematch between Hollis and Garrini), we got costumes!
Lucha Forever Ghost Runs (October 31, 7PM GMT)
- Jimmy Havoc vs. Sabu (Rules? ...Let's Not Be Stupid! Match)
Lucha Forever have only announced one match for their Halloween show in Manchester, but...
Jimmy Havoc. Sabu. Deathmatch. Do you really need more than that?
Tickets are sold out, but you'll be able to catch it on Lucha Forever On Demand all the same, folks.
Free matches here!
APW Weekly Episode 22
Time for one of our occasional looks at what APW have to offer weekly on their YouTube channel, and this time it's a whopper. MNM (Joey Mercury & John Morrison) reunite to take on Reno Scum (Adam Thornstowe & Luster the Legend) in a tag team dream match. Don't miss it!
Allysin Kay vs. Veda Scott
From the fine folks over at AIW, we have some women's action this week. Veda Scott takes on the AK-47 herself, Allysin Kay. Enjoy!
Dr. Wagner, Jr. vs. LA Park
From the good people over at +Lucha TV, two lucha legends duke it out in a bloody brawl. The freshly unmasked Dr. Wagner, Jr. does battle with the original La Parka, check it out!
Shine 46 (October 20)
- Allysin Kay over Dementia D'Rose by disqualification
- Amanda Carolina Rodriguez over Natalia Markova
- Aerial Monroe & Aja Perera over Cutie Pie Club (Aria Blake & Kiera Hogan)
- Priscilla Kelly (c) over Santana Garrett to retain the Shine Nova Championship
- Jordynne Grace over Candy Cartwright
- LuFisto (c) over Vanessa Kraven to retain the Shine Championship
- Las Sicarias (Ivelisse & Mercedes Martinez) (c) over Twisted Sisterz (Holidead & Thunder Rosa) to retain the Shine Tag Team Championship
Bad day at the office for the Cutie Pie Club, eh? Not only defeated in both their matches, but run off handily after attacking Priscilla Kelly after her match as well! That wasn't the only news out of the aftermath of the Nova title match, however, as ACR capitalized on her win by challenging Kelly and knocking her head off with a kick in the process.
Check it out on WWNLive.com, folks.
PWG All-Star Weekend 13 (October 20-21)
—Night One (October 20)—
- "Flash" Morgan Webster over Brian Cage
- Mark Haskins over Adam Brooks
- Joey Janela over Trevor Lee
- Keith Lee over Jonah Rock
- Sammy Guevara over Flamita and Rey Horus
- Ricochet over WALTER
- Chosen Bros (Jeff Cobb & Matt Riddle) over Lucha Brothers (Penta el Zero M & Rey Fenix) (c) to win the PWG World Tag Team Championship
—Night Two (October 21)—
- Jonah Rock over Adam Brooks
- Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) over Mark Haskins & "Flash" Morgan Webster
- Marty Scurll over Joey Janela
- WALTER over Zack Sabre, Jr.
- Trent? over Matt Sydal and Rey Horus
- Ricochet over Chuck Taylor (c) to win the PWG World Championship
It's a cleaning of the house for champions in PWG, but the way in which each title changed hands couldn't be more different here. Riddle and Cobb beat the Lucha Brothers for the tag titles fair and square, but Ricochet had other plans, initially winning off a low blow and a shot with the title belt before the match was restarted. The battle raged on and Chuck took the top rope off to try and equalize things, but it was all for naught in the end.
DVD and Blu-ray presales are available on PWG's website, folks.
PWX Unsanctioned (October 21)
- Darius Lockhart (c) over Drew Adler to retain the PWX iTV Championship
- Coach Mikey over Tommy Thomas (Duxedo Match)
- Tracer X over Ethan Case to qualify for the 2017 X16
- Effy over White Mike by disqualification
- Anthony Henry (c) over Fred Yehi to retain the PWX World Heavyweight Championship
- James Drake over Timmy Lou Retton (Syndicate Gauntlet Match)
- James Drake over TJ Boss by disqualification (Syndicate Gauntlet Match)
- James Drake over Montana Black by disqualification (Syndicate Gauntlet Match)
- Kamilla Kaine over Lacy Lane
- Corey Hollis over John Skyler (Unsanctioned Street Fight)
As always with a show that I'll recap once it's available on VOD, I'll keep it short and sweet here, but let's just say that if I were betting man, I'd say things aren't over between Hollis and Skyler by any means, given that Corey needed to introduce two big lads in red flannel that comprise the new iteration of Country Jacked in order to pull out the win. And, alas, Ethan Case, after coming up short in his third attempt to qualify for the X16, has bid farewell to PWX for the foreseeable future.
But it's not all doom and gloom, because with Coach Mikey's win, the Ugly Ducklings get to set the stipulation for their tag title rematch against the Syndicate, and it'll be a Ducks, Ladders, and Chairs match on night one of the X16 in January!
Check it out when it goes up on Highspots Wrestling Network, folks.
WrestleCircus CircusMania (October 21)
- Lance Hoyt over Jeff Cobb and Maxwell Jacob Feinstein
- Scorpio Sky over Sammy Guevara to win the WC Carnival Cash-In
- Extra Talent-ed (Aaron Solow & Ricky Starks) (c) over Scarlet and Graves (Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz) to retain the WC Big Top Tag Team Championship
- Sami Callihan over Jordan Len-X (Street Fight)
- Team Jervis (Allie Kat, "Supercop" Dick Justice, Jervis Cottonbelly, Leva Bates, & Super Thunderfrog) over Team Austin (Andy Dalton, Austin the Ref, Gregory James, Jay Syrious, & Rockstar Spud) (Carnival Survival Losing Captain Leaves WrestleCircus Match)
- World's Cutest Tag Team (Candice LeRae & Joey Ryan) over John Morrison & Taya Valkyrie
- Tessa Blanchard (c) over Dave Crist to retain the WC Sideshow and Lady of the Ring Championships
- Brian Cage over Shane Strickland (c) to win the WC Ringmaster Championship
WrestleCircus celebrated their one-year anniversary in style with a show that finished strong with that one-two punch at the end there. Yes, Dave Crist did have an opportunity at the Lady of the Ring Championship, thanks to some machinations from his pal Sami Callihan that even WC owner Al Lenhart was in the dark about. The main event also featured a shred of controversy, as Cage had the assistance of the Process, with Scorpio Sky headed to the ring, seemingly to cash his briefcase in only to instead use it as a weapon, knocking Strickland out and practically handing the win to the Machine.
That, however, isn't the biggest or most exciting news out of the show, as after the street fight, Jimmy Jacobs made his first indie appearance after getting let go by WWE. But he wasn't here as a writer, no, he was here to get his hands dirty and let Sami Callihan know how much he disagreed with his self-proclaimed status as King of the Indies. With a spear, Jacobs stood tall and ran Callihan off to make for a triumphant return for the Zombie Princess indeed.
Check it out on WrestleCircus's Twitch channel with a paid subscription or follow them and keep an eye out to see if they go live with a free replay, folks.
RPW Live in Leamington / Monday Night Mayhem (October 22-23)
—Live in Leamington (October 22)—
- Chris Brookes over Kurtis Chapman
- Jinny & Rob Lias over Dan Magee & Veda Scott
- Dave Mastiff over El Phantasmo
- "Speedball" Mike Bailey over Ryan Smile
- Travis Banks over Timothy Thatcher
- Moose over Eddie Dennis
- Moustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) over Hunter Brothers (Jim & Lee Hunter)
—Monday Night Mayhem (October 23)—
- Contenders (Josh Wall & Kurtis Chapman) over Aussie Open (Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis)
- Zoe Lucas over Veda Scott
- El Phantasmo over Rob Lias
- Josh Bodom (c) over "Speedball" Mike Bailey to retain the RPW British Cruiserweight Championship
- David Starr over Timothy Thatcher
- Dave Mastiff over Moose
- Moustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) over #CCK (Chris Brookes & Travis Banks) (c) to win the RPW British Tag Team Championship
Imagine my surprise, dear Cagesiders, when I went to check for results for Live in Leamington and discovered that not only did RevPro have a Monday night show I somehow totally missed was happening, but a quite eventful show it was! Matches like Starr/Thatcher and Mastiff/Moose are enticing enough, but to find out that Moustache Mountain went and won the tag titles, well, maybe I should fall asleep at the proverbial wheel more often, eh?
Check 'em out on RPW On Demand, folks.
Remember folks, no matter what type of wrestling you like, no matter how down you feel about the state of WWE, Impact, ROH, or any other "big-time" pro wrestling, there's something out there for you. There's a pro wrestling product that can hit you in the right spot and make you love wrestling like you thought you'd never be able to love it again. It's there, I promise. You just gotta reach out and find it, and that, my friends, is what the Sermon on the Mat is all about.