69 years ago today in Des Moines, Iowa, Orville Brown defeated Sonny Myers to win the National Wrestling Association Heavyweight Championship. When the National Wrestling Alliance forms about six months later, Brown would be its first champion.
21 years ago today in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, ECW presented House Party '96.
The show was main-evented by the final bout of The Public Enemy, who were leaving for WCW. The show also featured the ECW debut of Rob Van Dam and the return of Shane Douglas. Highlights of the show would air on the January 16, 23, and 30 episodes of ECW Hardcore TV (WWE Network links).
- 911 and Rey Misterio, Jr. defeated The Eliminators (Kronus and Saturn).
- Rob Van Dam defeated Axl Rotten.
- 2 Cold Scorpio defeated Mikey Whipwreck to win the ECW World Television Championship.
- Taz defeated Hack Myers by submission.
- Buh Buh Ray Dudley pinned Jimmy Del Ray.
- The Bad Crew and J.T. Smith & Tony Stetson fought to a no contest.
- The Sandman defeated Konnan by knockout to retain the ECW World Heavyweight Championship.
- Sabu defeated Stevie Richards.
- The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge and Rocco Rock) defeated The Gangstas (New Jack and Mustapha Saed).
6 years ago today, New Japan Pro Wrestling introduces the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.
The championship, at first the midcard title for New Japan like WWE's Intercontinental Championship, has, thanks in large part to Shinsuke Nakamura's 10-month run in 2012 and 2013, become more analogous to the World Heavyweight Championship during WWE's Brand Extension era. The championship was first won by MVP in May 2011 during their first tour of the United States.
6 years ago today, Paul Orndorff reveals during an interview on SiriusXM Radio's Busted Open that he had been diagnosed with cancer. Seven months later, Orndorff announced he was cancer-free.
2 years ago today on RAW from Corpus Christi, Texas (WWE Network link), Bad News Barrett defeated Dolph Ziggler 2-1 in a best of three falls match to win the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
It was only the second worst thing to happen to Ziggler on what was “John Cena Appreciation Night”. Ziggler, Erick Rowan, and Ryback were all fired to end the show for siding with John Cena at Survivor Series against The Authority.
1 year ago today, TNA presented the first Impact of the Pop TV era from the Sands Bethlehem Event Center in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The show is noted for the return of James Storm after he had briefly left the promotion the prior summer.
The show also had a pair of debuts: “The Miracle” Mike Bennett and his wife Maria Kannellis, both from Ring of Honor.
The show also featured the conclusion of the TNA World Title Series, a World Cup-style tournament put together from previously taped matches in an effort to crown a new TNA world champion.
- Ethan Carter III defeated Bobby Lashley in a semifinal match in the TNA World Title Series.
- Matt Hardy defeated Eric Young in a semifinal match in the TNA World Title Series.
- Bobby Roode defeated Bram to retain the TNA King of the Mountain Championship.
- Gail Kim and The Beautiful People (Madison Rayne & Velvet Sky) defeated The Dollhouse (Jade, Marti Belle, and Rebel).
- Ethan Carter III defeated Matt Hardy to win the TNA World Title Series and the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. A little DYK: Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported in late December this wasn’t the original planned ending of the series. The final four would have remained the same, Lashley would have beaten Carter via countout and defeated Hardy in the final to win the title. The ending was changed likely after the announcement of TNA signing a new TV deal with Pop TV.
The best of cSs on this day:
2016: Cageside Countdown Nomination Thread: Biggest Wrestling Moments of 2015 (Cagesiders pick the best moments of 2015)
2015: Dolph Ziggler, Ryback, Erick Rowan fired by The Authority on Raw (John Cena Appreciation Night on RAW ends with Ziggler, Ryback, and Erick Rowan all losing their jobs—thanks, John?)
2014: WWE Royal Rumble 2014 match card and rumors (Updated) (The latest on the road to the 2014 Royal Rumble)
2013: John Cena goes over on Fred Flintstone in latest WWE Fruity Pebbles promotion (An animated John Cena will make his second appearance on Fruity Pebbles cereal boxes)
2011: Is UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre Boring? Matt Hughes Believes So (Matt Hughes in his blog criticizes GSP’s performance at UFC 124 in his blog)