We can all breath a sigh of relief, as it seems WWE has decided to clearly state Daniel Bryan isn’t wrestling anymore.
Now, we can move on to what will be day 160 of Miz’s Never-Ending Intercontinental World Tour, and the next step of whatever story SmackDown Live is telling with Dolph Ziggler.
The IC champ is coming off his much-discussed promo from Talking Smack on Aug. 23, which he followed up tonight (Aug. 30) with another speech aimed at the WWE Universe rather than Daniel Bryan. The Show-Off, who is coming off two high-profile losses, one to WWE World champ Dean Ambrose at SummerSlam, another to #1 contender AJ Styles last week, cut him off and challenged him to a fight.
After quite a lot of drama, Miz declined.
But moments ago on the very WWE Network show that raised the Awesome One’s profile seven days ago, General Manager Bryan announced the two would fight for the Intercontinental belt at Backlash.
That match joins a card which is rapidly filling up (as it should, since there’s only one more episode of SmackDown before it happens):
- Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles for the WWE World championship
- Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental title
- Finals of the Tag Team championship tournament
- Six-pack challenge (Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch, Carmella, Natalya, Nikki Bella, Naomi) for the Women’s title
- Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton