72 years ago today in Mexico City, Mexico, El Santo defeated Tuffy Truesdale in a tournament final to win the Mexican National Middleweight Championship for the third time.
Tarzan Lopez defeated Santo for the title back on April 1, but had to vacated a week later as he was the world middleweight champion. Santo would hold the championship for most of the next ten years. How long exactly is unknown.
18 years ago today, WWF presented In Your House 22: Over the Edge (WWE Network link) from the Wisconsin Center Arena (today known as US Celluar Arena) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 9,822 were in attendance, with 211,000 homes watching on PPV. That's down from 309,000 homes for In Your House 21: Unforgiven.
- LOD 2000 (Hawk and Animal) defeated Disciples of Apocalypse (Skull and 8-Ball).
- Jeff Jarrett defeated Steve Blackman.
- Marc Mero defeated Sable in just 21 seconds. With the loss, Sable was forced to leave the WWF. Had she won, her managerial contract with Marc Mero would have been nullified. Sable's absence didn't stick of course; she was brought back by Vince McMahon just two weeks later. No concrete explanation was given.
- Kaientai (Dick Togo, Men's Teioh, & Sho Funaki) defeated Taka Michinoku & Justin Bradshaw in a 3-on-2 handicap match.
- The Rock defeated Faarooq to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship.
- Kane defeated Vader in a mask versus mask match.
- The Nation (Owen Hart, Kama Mustafa, and D'Lo Brown) defeated D-Generation X (Triple H, Billy Gunn, and Road Dogg).
- Steve Austin defeated Dude Love in a no disqualification, falls count anywhere match to retain the WWF Championship.
17 years ago today on Nitro from Houston, Texas (WWE Network link), Bam Bam Bigelow & Diamond Dallas Page defeated Kanyon and Saturn (subbing for Raven) to win the WCW World Tag Team Championship.
12 years ago today on RAW from Montreal, Quebec, Canada (WWE Network link), La Resistance (Robert Conway and Sylvain Grenier) defeated Chris Benoit & Edge to win the World Tag Team Championship.
2 years ago today, MVP suffers a knee injury while competing in a match for Preston City Wrestling. The injury alters TNA's booking. MVP, booked to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary, is changed to Bobby Lashley winning the title at the event instead.
1 year ago today, WWE presented Elimination Chamber (WWE Network link) from the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- In a kickoff show match, Stardust defeated Zack Ryder.
- The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods) defeated Los Matadores (Diego & Fernando), The Prime Time Players (Darren Young & Titus O'Neil), The Ascension (Konnor & Viktor), The Lucha Dragons (Kalisto & Sin Cara), and Cesaro & Tyson Kidd in an Elimination Chamber Match to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship.
- Nikki Bella defeated Paige and Naomi in a triple threat match to retain the WWE Divas Championship.
- Kevin Owens defeated John Cena. Neither Kevin's NXT Championship nor John's WWE United States Championship were at stake in the match.
- Neville defeated Bo Dallas.
- Ryback defeated King Barrett, R-Truth, Sheamus, Mark Henry, and Dolph Ziggler in an Elimination Chamber Match to win the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
- Dean Ambrose defeated Seth Rollins by disqualification in a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match.
Happy 49th birthday to Ian Richard Hodgkinson, best known to wrestling fans as Vampiro.
Best known for his run in the latter days of WCW, he spent most of the 1990s in Mexico for CMLL and the Universal Wrestling Association and in AAA from 2005 to 2013. Vampiro is one of two men to hold the Wrestling Society X Championship (Ricky Banderas is the other). Today, besides serving as the head of the Mexico City chapter of the Guardian Angels, he is the color commentator for Lucha Underground.