It’s less than a month to go until New Japan’s annual January 4 supercard, and they held a press conference this morning to spill the beans on the rest of the plans for the show.
They’ve added some matches both new and exciting (a four-team gauntlet match for the NEVER trios belts), traditional but welcome (the New Japan Rumble, a Royal Rumble style match featuring everybody who couldn’t make the main card as well as legends like Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Great Kabuki), and “Oh, Kota Ibushi wants to wrestle as an actual anime character again”. Plus Cody Rhodes is set to make his NJPW debut against former NXT superstar Juice “CJ Parker” Robinson. As well, the show will featuring an English commentary option, with Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino calling the action.
- New Japan Rumble
- Tiger Mask W vs. Tiger the Dark
- Roppongi Vice (Baretta & Rocky Romero) vs. Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (c) (IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship)
- Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Hangman Page, & Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Chaos (Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay, & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. David Finlay, Ricochet, & Satoshi Kojima (c) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, EVIL, & SANADA) (NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship Gauntlet Match)
- Cody Rhodes vs. Juice Robinson
- Adam Cole vs. Kyle O’Reilly (c) (ROH World Championship)
- Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) (c) (IWGP Tag Team Championship)
- Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA (c) (IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship)
- Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata (c) (NEVER Openweight Championship)
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito (c) (IWGP Intercontinental Championship)
- Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kenny Omega (IWGP Heavyweight Championship)
There you have it, folks
Gonna fire up your NJPW World subs and have at it early in the morning on the 4th?