WWE's Hell in a Cell 2016 lasted for 3 hours 16 minutes and 25 seconds (3h 16m 25s). Here is a breakdown of the timing for every single second of the show, in chronological order.
The matches are in bold. The "pre-match" segments include video packages, entrances, ring introductions, and any verbal promos that occur right before a match officially begins. The "post-match" segments include any celebrations, replays, angles, attacks, or promos that occur right after a match is finished.
|0m 00s||0m 22s||Now, Then, Forever||0m 22s|
|0m 22s||2m 47s||Video hyping Hell in a Cell 2016||2m 25s|
|2m 47s||3m 53s||Opening pyro||1m 06s|
|3m 53s||9m 33s||Pre-match for Reigns vs Rusev||5m 40s|
|9m 33s||34m 08s||Reigns vs Rusev||24m 35s|
|34m 08s||36m 19s||Post-match for Reigns vs Rusev||2m 11s|
|36m 19s||37m 03s||Filler commentary||0m 44s|
|37m 03s||38m 02s||Raw recap of Owens/Rollins feud||0m 59s|
|38m 02s||40m 53s||Backstage Owens promo||2m 51s|
|40m 53s||43m 21s||Pre-match for Bayley vs Dana||2m 28s|
|43m 21s||49m 48s||Bayley vs Dana||6m 27s|
|49m 48s||50m 41s||Post-match for Bayley vs Dana||0m 53s|
|50m 41s||51m 42s||Ad for KFC starring Ziggler and Miz||1m 01s|
|51m 42s||52m 43s||Commercial for WWE 2K17||1m 01s|
|52m 43s||55m 49s||Backstage with Foley, Stephanie, Y2J||3m 06s|
|55m 49s||56m 21s||Hype for Raw Talk||0m 32s|
|56m 21s||1h 02m 30s||Pre-match for Enzo and Cass vs The Club||6m 09s|
|1h 02m 30s||1h 09m 15s||Enzo and Cass vs The Club||6m 45s|
|1h 09m 15s||1h 10m 11s||Post-match for Enzo and Cass vs The Club||0m 56s|
|1h 10m 11s||1h 11m 15s||Ad for Komen Foundation||1m 04s|
|1h 11m 15s
||1h 11m 46s||Ad for Survivor Series 2016||0m 31s|
|1h 11m 46s
||1h 20m 10s||Pre-match for Owens vs Rollins||8m 24s|
|1h 20m 10s
||1h 43m 19s||Owens vs Rollins||23m 09s|
|1h 43m 19s
||1h 47m 37s||Post-match for Owens vs Rollins||4m 18s|
|1h 47m 37s
||1h 49m 01s||Kickoff panel discussion||1m 24s|
|1h 49m 01s
||1h 50m 03s||Video recap of pre-show match||1m 02s|
|1h 50m 03s
||1h 53m 58s||Pre-match for TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick||3m 55s|
|1h 53m 58s
||2h 04m 28s||TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick||10m 30s|
|2h 04m 28s||2h 05m 55s||Post-match for TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick||1m 27s|
|2h 05m 55s
||2h 07m 43s||Commercial for WWE Network||1m 48s|
|2h 07m 43s
||2h 09m 14s||Hype for NXT TakeOver and Survivor Series||1m 31s|
|2h 09m 14s
||2h 11m 57s||Pre-match for New Day vs Cesaro, Sheamus||2m 43s|
|2h 11m 57s
||2h 12m 42s||Plug for PPV theme song and Raw Talk||0m 45s|
|2h 12m 42s
||2h 18m 59s||Pre-match for New Day vs Cesaro, Sheamus||6m 17s|
|2h 18m 59s
||2h 30m 17s||New Day vs Cesaro, Sheamus||11m 18s|
|2h 30m 17s
||2h 31m 41s||Post-match for New Day vs Cesaro, Sheamus||1m 24s|
|2h 31m 41s
||2h 33m 47s||Hype for Goldberg vs Lesnar||2m 06s|
|2h 33m 47s
||2h 51m 40s||Pre-match for Sasha vs Charlotte||17m 53s|
|2h 51m 40s
||3h 13m 52s||Sasha vs Charlotte||22m 12s|
|3h 13m 52s||3h 16m 25s||Post-match for Sasha vs Charlotte||2m 33s|
The 7 matches combined for a total time of 1h 44m 56s. This means that 53.4% of the show was devoted to bell-to-bell action. This is the 27th highest percentage in this category out of the 49 WWE pay-per-view (PPV) events in my data set, which begins with Royal Rumble 2013.
Here is the sorted list of match times for Hell in a Cell 2016. This also includes where each match time ranks out of all 352 matches in my data set.
- 24m 35s: Roman Reigns vs Rusev (26th longest out of 352 matches)
- 23m 09s: Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins (40th)
- 22m 12s: Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair (47th)
- 11m 18s: New Day vs Cesaro and Sheamus (191st)
- 10m 30s: TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick (209th)
- 6m 45s: Enzo and Big Cass vs Gallows and Anderson (296th)
- 6m 27s: Bayley vs Dana Brooke (306th)
This is the second straight year where a Roman Reigns HIAC match that took place early in the night ended up as the longest HIAC match of the night.
Perkins and Kendrick had a nearly identical match time at Hell in a Cell 2016 (10m 30s) as they did last month at Clash of Champions 2016 (10m 31s).
Sasha versus Charlotte was the longest women's match on PPV in WWE since at least the start of 2013 when I started tracking this match time data. It blew away the next-longest time of 16m 02s, which occurred at WrestleMania 32.
Chris Jericho was inside the cell for the final 8m 51s of the match between Rollins and Owens.
The pre-match segments combined for a total time of 53m 29s, which is 27.2% of the show. This is the 7th highest percentage in this category out of the 49 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of pre-match segment time for all 7 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median pre-match segment time in my data set is 5m 17s and the average time is 5m 52s.
- 17m 53s: Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair
- 9m 00s: New Day vs Cesaro and Sheamus
- 8m 24s: Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins
- 6m 09s: Enzo and Big Cass vs Gallows and Anderson
- 5m 40s: Roman Reigns vs Rusev
- 3m 55s: TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick
- 2m 28s: Bayley vs Dana Brooke
Two matches received the special treatment of a dedicated video package right before superstar entrances. The videos hyping KO's match (3m 15s) and Sasha's match (3m 05s) combined to take up 6m 20s of the pre-match segment time.
The pre-match segment for Charlotte's match was the second longest one in my data set, only trailing the pre-match segment for Rollins versus Ambrose from Hell in a Cell 2014. Both pre-match segments were very similar in that there was a table spot that led to superstars being placed on a stretcher. Approximately 8m 30s of the segment had lapsed when Charlotte sudenly initiated her attack on Sasha while the cell was still lowering.
Pre-match segments for New Day and Enzo Amore tend go long because these segments usually include a promo in the ring.
The post-match segments combined for a total time of 13m 42s, which is 7.0% of the show. This is the 44th highest percentage in this category out of the 49 events in my data set.
Here is the sorted list of the post-match segment time for all 7 matches. For some context, keep in mind that the median post-match segment time in my data set is 1m 57s and the average time is 2m 26s.
- 4m 18s: Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins
- 2m 33s: Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair
- 2m 11s: Roman Reigns vs Rusev
- 1m 27s: TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick
- 1m 24s: New Day vs Cesaro and Sheamus
- 0m 56s: Enzo and Big Cass vs Gallows and Anderson
- 0m 53s: Bayley vs Dana Brooke
That leaves about 12.4% (24m 18s) of the show for everything else. This is the 27th highest percentage in this category out of the 49 events in my data set.
Most of these miscellaneous segments are crammed into the time after one post-match segment ends and before the next pre-match segment begins. Hell in a Cell 2016 included 7 different blocks of miscellaneous segments. Here is how long each block lasted, in chronological order:
- Block 1: 3m 53s (Then Now Forever; Opening hype video and pyro)
- Block 2: 4m 34s (Raw recap of Owens/Rollins feud; Backstage Owens promo)
- Block 3: 5m 40s (Ads for KFC and WWE 2K17; Backstage with Foley/Steph/Y2J)
- Block 4: 1m 35s (Ad for Komen Foundation; Ad for Survivor Series)
- Block 5: 2m 26s (Kickoff panel; Recap of pre-show match)
- Block 6: 4m 04s (Ad for WWE Network and upcoming events; Plug for theme song)
- Block 7: 2m 06s (Hype for Goldberg vs Lesnar at Survivor Series)
Here is a listing of how much total show time was allocated for each match when you add up all 3 components: pre-match time, match time, and post-match time. This list also includes where each total time ranks among the 352 entries in my data set.
- 42m 38s: Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair (14th longest out of 352 entries)
- 35m 51s: Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins (38th)
- 32m 26s: Roman Reigns vs Rusev (67th)
- 21m 42s: New Day vs Cesaro and Sheamus (150th)
- 15m 52s: TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick (230th)
- 13m 50s: Enzo and Big Cass vs Gallows and Anderson (255th)
- 9m 48s: Bayley vs Dana Brooke (324th)
Now here is a look at the "Match Time Percentage" for each match. For any given match, this percentage shows how the match time compares to the combined pre-match and post-match segment time. For some context, it's good to know that the median result here since 2013 is 62.8%.
(Here's an example calculation: an entry with a match time of 6m 00s, pre-match time of 3m 00s, and a post-match time of 1m 00s has a score of 60.0%, because the match time of 6m 00s is 60% of the total sum of 10m 00s for all three components.)
- 75.8%: Roman Reigns vs Rusev
- 66.2%: TJ Perkins vs Brian Kendrick
- 65.8%: Bayley vs Dana Brooke
- 64.6%: Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins
- 52.1%: New Day vs Cesaro and Sheamus
- 52.1%: Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair
- 48.8%: Enzo and Big Cass vs Gallows and Anderson
As expected, Hell in a Cell 2016 spent a ton of time on the three cell matches. Over 40 minutes of the show was dedicated to Sasha's main event match against Charlotte, which is remarkable considering there was no women's match that ever reached 30 minutes of total show time since the start of 2013. WWE gave Sasha and Charlotte plenty of time to shine in the spotlight on this historic night.
Final Results for Hell in a Cell 2016
Match - 53.4% - 1h 44m 56s
Pre-match - 27.2% - 53m 29s
Post-match - 7.0% - 13m 42s
Miscellaneous - 12.4% - 24m 18s