Sacramento Memorial Auditorium in California and the Maxwell Snyder Armory in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Oney Lorcan def. Patrick Clark
- Shane Thorne (representing TM-61) def. Roderick Strong (representing Aries/Strong) to advance to the semi-finals of the Dusty Rhodes Classic Tag Team Tournament
- Wesley Blake def. Buddy Murphy
- Asuka def. Daria Berenato to retain her Women’s championship
- Authors of Pain def. No Way Jose & Rich Swann to advance to the semi-finals of the Dusty Rhodes Classic Tag Team Tournament
- Ember Moon def. Billie Kay (w/Peyton Royce)
- Shinsuke Nakamura & Tye Dillinger def. Samoa Joe & Bobby Roode
- Tucker Knight & Otis Dozovic def. Angelo Dawkins & Kenneth Crawford
- Liv Morgan def. Macey Estrella
- Noam Dar def. HoHo Lun
- Cedric Alexander def. Elias Samson
- Lince Dorado def. Angelo Dawkins (w/ Kenneth Crawford)
- SAnitY (Alexander Wolfe & Sawyer Fulton w/ Nikki Cross) def. Riddick Moss & Tino Sabatelli
- Nikki Cross def. Danielle Kamela
- TJ Perkins def. Andrade “Cien” Almas
What caught our eye?
A couple of debuts in Florida, as Noam Dar hadn’t been on NXT other than a dark match at a Full Sail taping, and Estrella has done house show promos but not wrestled:
(She takes the skirt off to wrestler, and Liv stole it to taunt her with it)
Their plan of filling out these smaller shows with cruiserweights and one hot act (SAnitY) while sending the big names out to larger venues is interesting, and seems to be working so far.
They were set up to film in San Jose, and we can count on at least seeing parts of the two tournament matches they filmed.
Twitter reactions seem overwhelmingly positive (natch) but I’ve read a few more critical reviews of the show online (like this one at the Observer). Looking forward to hearing from more folks - including a couple Cagesiders I know were in attendance - to get a better picture.
Austin Aries was there and appeared in sunglasses to make jokes and heel it up about how TM-61 should forfeit to avoid the embarrassment of losing a handicap match to Strong. William Regal showed up to say he could postpone this to allow A-Double’s face to heal, but the Dusty is about competition and the show must go on, so he made Roddy vs. one of the Australians to determine who moves on.
This was said to be a really good match with Strong looking great. Thorne won with an inside cradle. However...
Editorial opinion time - unfortunately, this wasn’t what TM-61 needed. The injury to Aries limited their options, but this was supposed to be a showcase that featured them coming back against veteran heels. This doesn’t sound like a convinced crowd:
In the other tournament match... Paul Ellering was in attendance again, but it sounds like the reaction for the babyfaces dwarfed the one for his Authors... something the producers must have known since Jose’s music played after their loss.
Another match for which I saw mixed reviews, but the finisher is definitely over:
But who can argue with this main event? Oh Yeah? YEA-OH!
Crystal River and Bakersfield
Thanks to Erin Bunuan’s Instagram for our header image!