clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Tope 10: Lucha Underground (Sep 28, 2016)

Lucha Underground on Instagram

Each and every episode of Lucha Underground features maneuvers, quotes, outfits, props, scenes, and stories that deserve recognition. That is where the Tope 10 comes in. This list shows appreciation for the moments which are more exciting than a flying tope.

If you are new to the Lucha Underground scene, you can catch it Wednesdays at 8pm ET/PT on the El Rey Network or buy seasons one, two, and three on iTunes. See if El Rey is available in your area.

If you haven't had a chance to watch this week's episode yet, check out the preview, live blog & open thread, recap, highlight package, and the atomicos four-on-four tag match of Aerostar, Drago, Fenix, Sexy Star against Worldwide Underground.

10. "Prime mates."

That Matt Striker is a witty fellow. During the intro, he talked about the band, "Yeah, The Chimpz are not only our friends, but they're also our prime mates." Prime mates, primates, get it? Vampiro made it even better by no selling the joke with an exhale of exasperation.

9. Prince Puma's submission

I have no idea what that submission is called, but I'm always down for anything that wraps someone up like a pretzel. Even though it wasn't a finisher, it looked very uncomfortable.

8. Jack Evans flipping out

Just Jack being Jack. Johnny Mundo's reaction in the background is icing on the cake.

7. Johnny Mundo throwing his sunglasses at Sexy Star

Just Johnny being a dickhead. The reactions of Jack Evans and Taya are icing on the cake. Sexy is going to need those shades to cover her black eye.

6. Dario Cueto lying to Cortez Castro

As the viewer, we know that Dario killed Mr. Cisco and we know that Cortez knows. That's what made Dario's hug so funny. It was such a sleazy scumbag move.

I also like how we are catching a deeper glimpse of Dario's weaseling. Normally, we get a sense that Dario is scheming, but we aren't fully aware of his motives at the time. In this case, we already know the score and get to observe how Dario goes about manipulating the situation.

5. Trios teamwork

It seems like those three come up a new combo attack in every match together. Sexy Star also joined in the fun for a height assisted leg drop with Fenix.

4. Sexy Star's handshake

While in the locker room looking for Taya, Johnny Mundo ran into Sexy Star. Being the gentleman that he is, Johnny formally introduced himself to Sexy. Trying to exit after a handshake proved to more difficult than it would seem as Sexy Star would not release her grip. In a humorous manner, Johnny tried to shake her loose but couldn't break free. It was a fun stare down as part of the set up to their inevitable match.

3. Prince Puma's Flatliner

What a fantastic manner to say eff you to Mil Muertes. Using Mil's finisher to defeat his flunky is a heck of a way to make a statement. I'm eager to see them clash once again. The bout definitely has potential to be on the short list for season three match of the year.

2. Catrina sucking up souls

Catrina killing El Siniestro de la Muerte via neck crack was a worthy moment in and of itself to make the list this week, but Catrina inhaling his life essence and blowing it at Mil Muertes was dopeness on a whole different level. Mil received a power boost in the form of flashing red eyes. It will be interesting to see if that makes him even stronger when he faces Prince Puma in the ring.

1. Triad ninjas

"And now I'm sending the Black Lotus Triad to destroy Pentagon DARK." Woo wee, it is about to get funky. I hope Pentagon DARK likes to tango, because he is going to have four dance partners coming his way. Not to mention a future match with El Dragon Azteca Jr. I'm excited at the prospect of Pentagon finally facing consequences for his spree of arm breakings. Plus, ninjas!!!

In last week's poll, 73% of 80 votes proclaimed Bagel Bites to be delicious. The other 27% have more sophisticated taste buds than I as they voted that Bagel Bites are disgusting. That stereotype of wrestling fans seems to be 73% accurate. Now, we need to figure out how many voted from their mom's basement.

How does this week's Tope 10 stack up to your list? Any favorites not included? If you were late to the viewing party, feel free to share your thoughts about anything in the episode. While waiting for next week, check out Lucha Underground talent compete at Triplemania XXIV (part 1, part 2, part 3). It is posted on the official AAA YouTube channel.

Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Cageside Seats Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your pro wrestling news from Cageside Seats