29 years ago today, WWF airs the first-ever Slammy Awards. The "awards show", taped the previous December at the Baltimore Civic Center in Baltimore, Maryland, was mainly used to promote The Wrestling Album, which was released back in November. So if you're scoring at home, a three-month old awards show was used to promote a four-month old album.
23 years ago today in Yokohama, Japan, New Japan Pro Wrestling presented its 20th Anniversary Show. In a featured bout, Bam Bam Bigelow & Big Van Vader defeated Hiro Hase & Keiji Mutoh to win the IWGP Tag Team Championship.
17 years ago today, ECW presented Living Dangerously (WWE Network link) from the Asbury Park Convention Center in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
- Jerry Lynn and Chris Chetti defeated The F.B.I. (Little Guido and Tracey Smothers).
- Masato Tanaka defeated Doug Furnas.
- Rob Van Dam defeated 2 Cold Scorpio.
- New Jack and Spike Dudley defeated The Dudley Boyz (Buh Buh Ray and D-Von) and The Hardcore Chair Swingin' Freaks (Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten) in a three-way dance.
- Tommy Dreamer defeated Justin Credible.
- Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Taz to win the ECW World Television Championship. Taz had Bigelow locked in the Tazmission, but Bigelow fell back to break the hold, but in doing so, legitimately broke the wooden ring floor under the canvas. Taz hit his head on a ring support, knocking him out. Bigelow pulled Taz out of the hole, covered him, and won the title.
- Sabu defeated The Sandman in a Dueling Canes match. The match was taped before the PPV and aired in place of a match between Al Snow and John Kronus. The Snow-Kronus match was ultimately cancelled.
- Al Snow and Lance Storm defeated Shane Douglas and Chris Candido. Post-match, the crowd littered the ring with Styrofoam heads.
10 years ago today at a Smackdown taping in Albany, New York, Orlando Jordan defeated John Cena to win the WWE United States Championship.
9 years ago today in Louisville, Kentucky, Brent Albright defeated CM Punk to win a one-night tournament for the vacated OVW Heavyweight Championship. The title was vacated February 8 following the announcement that Matt Cappotelli had brain cancer.
5 years ago today, Wrestlicious made its debut on MavTV in the United States and BiteTV in Canada. The all-female comedy promotion, founded by Powerball winner Jonathan Vargas, lasted just one season. There was an announcement of a second season in May 2011, but it never came to pass.
4 years ago today, Johnny Curtis is announced as the winner of NXT Volume 4. Brodus Clay finished second.