25 years ago today, WWF presented The Main Event (WWE Network link) from the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan. The show's hook was the Wrestlemania V rematch for the WWF Championship featuring champion Hulk Hogan and challenger Randy Savage with world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson as the special referee. A funny thing happened on the way to Detroit though: Tyson lost the heavyweight title in Tokyo, Japan a month earlier. Tyson pulled out of his scheduled appearance and got new world champion Buster Douglas to take his place. Of note, this was the final live edition of The Main Event, as the following two editions were taped.
- Hulk Hogan defeated Randy Savage) to retain the WWF Championship. Buster Douglas was the special referee.
- The Ultimate Warrior defeated Dino Bravo to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship.
13 years ago today, Ring of Honor was born. The first show from the Murphy Recreation Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, has been retroactively named The Era of Honor Begins. The promotion was created by RF Video founder Rob Feinstein, and the booking was mostly overseen by Gabe Sapolsky, Paul Heyman's top assistant during their time in the original ECW. Over time, the promotion rose to the third biggest promotion and the biggest independent in the United States.
- Da Hit Squad (Mafia & Monsta Mack) defeated the Christopher Street Connection (Buff E & Mace) in just 70 seconds.
- The Amazing Red defeated Jay Briscoe.
- Xavier defeated Scoot Andrews.
- The Boogy Nights (Mike Tobin & Danny Drake) defeated the Natural Born Sinners (Homicide & Boogaloo) by disqualification.
- Quiet Storm defeated The Amazing Red, Brian XL, Chris Divine, Jose Maximo, & Joel Maximo in an Ultimate Aerial Elimination Match. Mikey Whipwreck was the special referee.
- Jose Maximo eliminated The Amazing Red.
- Chris Divine eliminated Brian XL.
- Quiet Storm eliminated Jose Maximo.
- Joel Maximo eliminated Chris Divine.
- Quiet Storm eliminated Joel Maximo.
- Prince Nana defeated Towel Boy.
- Spanky & Ikaika Loa defeated Michael Shane & Oz.
- Super Crazy defeated Eddie Guerrero to win the IWA Intercontinental Championship.
- Low Ki defeated Christopher Daniels and Bryan Danielson.
12 years ago today, WWE presented No Way Out (WWE Network link) from the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 15,100 were in attendance, with 450,000 homes watching on PPV. That's down from 575,000 homes for the 2002 edition.
- In a Sunday Night Heat match, Rey Mysterio defeated Jamie Noble.
- Chris Jericho defeated Jeff Hardy.
- William Regal and Lance Storm defeated Kane and Rob Van Dam to retain the World Tag Team Championship.
- Matt Hardy defeated Billy Kidman to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship.
- The Undertaker defeated The Big Show.
- Brock Lesnar and Chris Benoit defeated Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Shelton Benjamin, and Charlie Haas).
- Triple H defeated Scott Steiner to retain the World Heavyweight Championship.
- Steve Austin defeated Eric Bischoff. This was Austin's first appearance since he walked out on WWE the previous summer.
- The Rock defeated Hulk Hogan. Of note, Sylvain Grenier made his WWE debut as the referee who helped in the 2003 edition of the Montreal Screwjob. This was The Rock's first PPV bout since Summerslam the previous August.
11 years ago today on RAW from Omaha, Nebraska, Victoria defeated Molly Holly, Jazz, and Lita in a fatal four-way elimination match to win the WWE Womens Championship. Also, Vince McMahon and Eric Bischoff went to a no contest when Brock Lesnar attacked special referee Steve Austin.
7 years ago today, ROH presented their Sixth Anniversary Show from the Manhattan Center in New York City. On the day of the show, ROH announced that the company would return there in May, but this time from the Hammerstein Ballroom.
- In a dark match, Zach Gowen defeated Pelle Primeau.
- Delirious and Human Tornado fought to a no contest when Age of the Fall attacked both men.
- The Age Of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black) defeated Delirious & Human Tornado.
- Brent Albright defeated El Generico.
- Kevin Steen defeated Joey Matthews.
- Austin Aries defeated Go Shiozaki.
- Sara Del Rey defeated Daizee Haze to retain the SHIMMER Championship.
- No Remorse Corps (Davey Richards & Rocky Romero) defeated The Vulture Squad (Jigsaw & Ruckus) to retain the ROH World Tag Team Championship.
- Roderick Strong defeated Erick Stevens and Necro Butcher in a no disqualification three way dance to retain the FIP World Heavyweight Championship.
- Nigel McGuinness defeated Bryan Danielson to retain the ROH World Championship.
5 years ago today, NXT presented its debut episode from the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The show, featured eight "rookies" paired with eight WWE superstars competing in a three-month long competition for a WWE contract and a world championship match on PPV.
- In a dark match, Jimmy Wang Yang & Slam Master J defeated Tyler Reks & Vance Archer
- Christian & Heath Slater defeated Carlito & Michael Tarver.
- David Otunga (w/ R-Truth) defeated Darren Young (w/ CM Punk, Luke Gallows & Serena) in just 37 seconds.
- Chris Jericho (w/ Wade Barrett) defeated Daniel Bryan (w/ The Miz).
2 years ago today in Waco, Texas, The Undertaker and Sheamus defeated Wade Barrett and Damien Sandow. This was Undertaker's first in-ring appearance since RAW 1000 the previous July.
1 year ago today, WWE presented Elimination Chamber (aka No Escape from German audiences-they couldn't use No Way Out because they actually revived the No Way Out name for a PPV later in the summer) from the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. 14,101 were in attendance, with 183,000 homes watching on PPV. Of note, Dish Network did not carry the PPV, something that would become the new normal with the rollout of WWE Network (which took place the next morning).
- In a preshow match, The Rhodes Dynasty (Cody Rhodes & Goldust) defeated RybAxel (Ryback & Curtis Axel).
- Big E defeated Jack Swagger to retain the WWE Intercontinental Championship.
- The New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg & Billy Gunn) defeated The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso) to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship.
- Titus O'Neil defeated Darren Young.
- The Wyatt Family (Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan & Luke Harper) defeated The Shield (Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns & Dean Ambrose).
- Cameron defeated AJ Lee by disqualification in a WWE Divas Championship match.
- Batista defeated Alberto Del Rio.
- Randy Orton defeated John Cena, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, Antonio Cesaro and Christian in a Elimination Chamber match to retain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.