6 years ago today, TNA taped New Years Knockout Eve at the Impact Zone at Universal Orlando. The one-night tournament was part of a double episode of Impact on New Year's Eve, interspersed with the best matches and moments from 2009. The tournament's winner would challenge for the TNA Knockouts Championship on the January 4, 2010 Impact. Not surprisingly, since the show did air on New Year's Eve, it's the lowest-rated show of the year, doing just an 0.7 rating. The next Impact, airing January 4, would be the most watched in company history, doing a 1.45.
- In a preshow dark match, The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) defeated The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson).
- In a preshow dark match, Lizzy Valentine defeated Amber O'Neal.
- In a non-tournament, non-title match, TNA Knockouts Tag Team Champions Sarita & Taylor Wilde defeated April Hunter & Lorelei Lee.
First round matches:
- Hamada defeated Madison Rayne.
- ODB defeated Traci Brooks.
- Roxxi defeated Velvet Sky.
- Awesome Kong defeated Daffney.
- Hamada defeated Roxxi.
- ODB defeated Awesome Kong.
- ODB defeated Hamada to earn a TNA Knockouts Championship match on the January 4 Impact.
Today's the 30th birthday of Christopher Girard, best known to wrestling fans as Biff Busick.
Born in Boston, and trained under Lance Storm, Mike Hollow, and Sho Funaki, Girard made his pro debut for Combat Zone Wrestling in October 2012. He gained national exposure in April 2014 by making it to the finals of the promotion's Best of the Best XIII tournament, losing to Drake Younger. One month later, Busick defeated Gulak to win the CZW World Heavyweight Championship. He would lose it In October to former ally Sozio.
Busick also appeared for Evolve in 2013 and 2014, most notably splitting a pair of bouts with Timothy Thatcher while on tour in China. He would also spend a year at Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, participating in the very first six-man Guerrilla Warfare match, and competing in a pair of Battle of Los Angeles tournaments, losing to former tournament finalists Roderick Strong in 2014 (Strong was a 2007 BOLA finalist) and Chris Hero in 2015 (Hero was a finalist in 2010).
Recently, Busick joined WWE on a developmental deal in September 2015. He made his NXT debut at a house show on October 30 in a Halloween battle royal.