24 years ago today in Yokohama, Japan, Big Van Vader defeated Tatsumi Fujinami to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
NYC Royal Rumble Pt.1 by Stinger1981
21 years ago today in New York City, Rick Steiner and Ludvig Borga fought to a double countout. Borga, rumored to be in line for a WWF Championship push, injured his ankle in the match and would ultimately never wrestle for the company again. Later during the event, The Quebecers (Jacques and Pierre) defeated the 1-2-3 Kid and Marty Jannetty to win the WWF Tag Team Championship. In the show's main event, Owen Hart won a 30-man Royal Rumble match, last eliminating Fatu.
16 years ago today, WCW presented Souled Out (WWE Network link) from the Charleston Civic Center in Charleston, Virginia. 10,833 were in attendance, with 330,000 homes watching on PPV. That's down from 380,000 homes for the 1998 event.
- Chris Benoit defeated Mike Enos.
- Norman Smiley defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr.
- Fit Finlay defeated Van Hammer.
- Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Wrath.
- Lex Luger defeated Konnan.
- Chris Jericho defeated Saturn. With the loss, Saturn was forced to wear a dress for 30 days.
- Kidman defeated Juventud Guerrera, Psychosis, and Rey Mysterio Jr. in a Four Corners Match to retain the WCW Cruiserweight Championship.
- David & Ric Flair defeated Barry Windham & Curt Hennig.
- Bill Goldberg defeated Scott Hall in a ladder and taser match.
15 years ago today on Nitro from Columbus, Ohio, Jeff Jarrett was awarded by new Commissioner Kevin Nash the WCW United States Championship. Jarrett was stripped of the title when a concussion forced him out of the Souled Out PPV.
15 years ago today on RAW is WAR from New Haven, Connecticut, Test defeated The Big Bossman to win the WWF Hardcore Championship.
15 years ago today in San Antonio, Texas, Steve Austin undergoes neck surgery to remove a bone spur that was affecting his spinal cord. The surgery was performed by Dr. Lloyd Youngblood, who did surgery on several other WWE superstars. Austin would eventually make a full recovery and return to the ring full time later in the year.
5 years ago today, TNA presented Genesis from the Impact Zone at Universal Orlando. This event was noted for being the first under the Hogan-Bischoff regime and, much to the chagrin of many TNA fans, the first time TNA used a traditional four-sided ring since the company began taping their shows in Orlando in 2004.
- Amazing Red defeated Brian Kendrick to retain the TNA X-Division Championship.
- Sean Morley defeated Daniels.
- Tara defeated ODB 2-0 in a best of three falls match to win the TNA Knockouts Championship.
- Matt Morgan and Hernandez defeated The British Invasion (Brutus Magnus and Doug Williams) to win the TNA World Tag Team Championship.
- Desmond Wolfe defeated D'Angelo Dinero.
- Beer Money, Inc. (Robert Roode and James Storm) defeated Kevin Nash and Syxx-Pac (subbing for Scott Hall, who was out with an injury).
- Ken Anderson (subbing for Bobby Lashley) defeated Abyss.
- AJ Styles defeated Kurt Angle to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.
3 years ago today, Evan Bourne, recently returning from a suspension for violating the WWE's Wellness Policy, is suspended for a second time for violating the WWE's Wellness Policy. While on suspension, Bourne was in a car accident that shattered his foot almost beyond repair. He would make a full recovery and return a year later, but would be released in June 2013. After some time on the independent circuit, he returned to Ring of Honor last fall.