What you loved:
- The Model - Although a very cheesy gimmick, Martel did a great job with it. "Arrogance" was his cologne spray of choice, Gorgeous George would have been proud.
- Midcard - Specifically in the WWE, he was a perfect fit for this position, put on solid matches, and had some great feuds.
- In-Ring - Could work many styles, was a safe worker, and put on plenty of quality matches during his long career.
- Strike Force - Along with Tito Santana this was a favorite tag team for many of you.
- Feuds - Most notable were with Jake "The Snake" Roberts (he blinded Jake!) and Shawn Michaels.
Best comment comes via torquemada.tequila:
"During the old territory days, we came under AWA in Northern Ontario. My introduction to professional wrestling came during Rick Martel’s 19-month reign as AWA champion, where he headlined the local cards. So I have to give him 4.5 for no other reason than I’m professional wrestling fan today because of AWA Martel."
What you loathed:
- WCW Run - In short, injuries ended his career during his one year run in WCW.
- Ceiling - Specific to WWE/WCW, he was just never destined to hit the main-event.
- Mic Work - This never was a strong point of his, accent may have worked against him, aside from his Model gimmick.
- WWE Run - For those of you who remembered his AWA run, his time in the WWE just was not your cup of tea.
- Face - Bit of a bland face, his true calling was being the bad guy.
Best comment comes via DSmithImages:
"WCW Rick Martel and him at any point trying to be a straight babyface."
On to the poll! With 116 votes, Rick Martel's average score is 3.6
Thanks, Cagesiders! Tomorrow's pick is less of an evaluation, and more of a history lesson. We will be looking at Japanese legend, Rikidōzan.